Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Research Associate - Protein Production
at BioLegend, Inc.
BioLegend develops world-class, cutting-edge antibodies and reagents for biomedical research, manufactured in our state-of-the-art facility in San Diego, CA. Our mission is to accelerate research and discovery by providing the highest quality products at an outstanding value, along with superior customer service and technical support. Our product expertise covers a diverse set of research areas including Immunology, Neuroscience, Cancer, Stem cells, and Cell Biology.
BioLegend has an opening for a Research Associate to join our fast growing, dynamic recombinant protein production team. In this role, you will participate in daily product production in support of activities related to production scale-up and optimization.
Typical duties for this position will include production of recombinant proteins of cytokines, growth factors, hormones, and enzymes from bacterial, insect, and mammalian expression, handling weekly testing and performance of new materials and validation of lot-to lot consistency over processing steps. This role also includes general lab duties such as maintaining lab supplies and inventory management.
- Perform laboratory scale operations related to protein production such as bacterial cultivation, cell culture (CHO and HEK293) and transfection, culture harvest, and supernatant separation.
- Perform protein/ antibody purification and quantification, buffer preparation, protein dialysis, centrifugation, and filtration.
- Participate in Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) and batch record drafting and validation and documentation review/archiving when required
- Participate in validation of new materials used in the production process
- Participate in upstream IMAC and downstream FPLC protein purification
- Conduct purity/ productivity/ consistency studies and trouble-shooting intermediate complexity problems during regular/scale-up production or process optimization
- Interface with different groups to provide timely and accurate material transfer support
- Keep good written and electronic records related to protein purification to support recombinant protein manufacturing and process improvement
- Other duties as assigned
- innovate – Be better, keep improving, be more efficient, creative, and be in the forefront of development
- Aspire – Have desire, purpose, and ambition challenging ourselves to push the limits and reach new heights
- Collaborate – Foster teamwork, common goals, selflessness, communication and mutual support
- Transform – Adapt, learn, re-invent and change for future development and growth
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, or a related Biological Science area
- 2 years of industry experience related to protein or antibody production, purification or cell culture
- Previous experience with various protein characterization and analysis techniques such as SDS-PAGE, Bradford Assay, Spectrophotometry, Western blot, ELISA, endotoxin measurement, and mass spectrometry
- Ability to initiate and plan daily work efficiently and adjust priorities quickly in order to meet deadlines with a high quality outcome
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, EXCEL and PowerPoint and DNA and protein analysis software
- Hands-on experience with producing proteins, molecular biology reagents, or antibodies in industry setting
- Ability to communicate with Senior Associates or Scientists regarding production related issues
Preferred Qualifications – Education and Experience
- Experience in the use of expression platforms (e.g., Insect cells, HEK293, CHO adherent or suspension culture and cell transfection) or tissue cell culture maintenance
- Experience with conventional protein or antibody purification techniques: affinity, ion exchange, hydrophobic, and size exclusion chromatography
- Hands-on experience with stirred-tank bioreactors, AKTA, FPLC
- Experience with conducting scale-up production of recombinant proteins or antibodies from ml to up to 100 liters.
- Experience with optimizing the upstream or downstream production processing from pilot batch to scale up lot to reduce cost and processing time
- Familiarity with working in a BSL2 lab
- Experience with ISO 9001/ ISO13485, QSR’s or GMP compliance
Work Environment & Physical Demands
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in BSL lab.
Occasional work in a 4 degree celsius cold room
Daily work includes moving or lifting buffers and media up to 5 liters between benches. Buffer preparation volume of 5-50L.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to handle, feel, or operate objects, tools or controls, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand, talk and hear.