City of Encinitas
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Contract Lifeguard Trainee
at City of Encinitas
- The Position
Under direction of the Lifeguard Captain or designee, the incumbent is responsible for learning and developing skills necessary to take the role as a Contract Ocean Lifeguard. This position will be expected to work in a natural environment and on weekends.
This is a pre-entry level contract position which does not perform any lifeguard duties. Once the incumbent has successfully completed the Encinitas Marine Safety Ocean Water Lifeguard Academy and received a certification of completion, they will be eligible to promote to Contract Ocean Lifeguard I.
Lifeguard trainees are non-safety personnel and do not perform lifeguard duties
- Examples of Important & Essential Duties (included but not limited to)
- Participating in Basic Ocean Lifeguard training academy approved by the City of Encinitas, including classroom, group discussion, hands-on skills development, and written testing related to roles and responsibilities of an Ocean Lifeguard;
- Learning and becoming proficient in the use and care of rescue equipment, skills of observation, effective lifeguard intervention techniques, public contact and communication, Emergency Medical Response, Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and Automated External Defibrillators (AED);
- Maintaining, organizing, compiling, checking, stocking and replacing inventory and delivering necessary supplies and materials to staff and public as necessary;
- Promoting and encouraging inclusion and satisfaction of all participants;
- Completing applicable records;
- Performing general housekeeping duties in and around facilities which house lifeguard operations and training as well as beaches including dusting, sweeping mopping, cleaning, sanitizing, removing trash and debris;
- Notifying supervisor of lost or missing items which are property of the Marine Safety Division or Training Academy;
- Participating in in-service training, orientations and other staff meetings as requested;
- Providing excellent internal and external customer service; Creating a positive experience for beach patrons through professional and courteous behavior;
- Practicing safe work habits and contributing to the safety of self, co-workers and the general public; maintaining a safe work environment and soliciting employee cooperation in following safe practices;
- Complying with all policies and practices established by the City of Encinitas, Fire Department and Marine Safety Division; abiding by all local, State and Federal laws;
- Acting as a representative of the City and Marine Safety Division;
- Respecting diversity in the workplace;
- Performing other related duties as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications
Training and Experience (position requirements at entry):
To apply must be 17 -years old and you must turn the age of 18- years old by JULY 1, 2020
Licensing Requirements (position requirements at entry):
Valid California Driver's License
- Application Process and Deadline
- A competed on-line City application is required. The application acceptance period will end after the first 50 applications are received.
There are only 10 spots available for the 2019/2020 academy
The City will accept 50 applications for the contract lifeguard trainee positions. Of those 50 applications only the 30 most qualified candidates will be invited to test for position/spot in the academy. Candidates with the highest ranking from the testing process will be hired as lifeguard trainees and will be part of the City's lifeguard academy. Testing is scheduled for Saturday, September 7, 2019 at 10:00 am. If you are invited to test, you will be notified by HR via e-mail.
The Encinitas Marine Safety Open Water Lifeguard Academy is sanctioned by the United States Lifeguards Association (USLA) and upon successful completion incumbents will be qualified to become a Contract Ocean Lifeguard with the City of Encinitas (the certification is applicable only to the City of Encinitas Marine Safety Division). The Academy is a blended learning program consisting of hands on skill development, written courses, and an internship on Encinitas beach sites. Lifeguard Trainees will be paid while actively participating in the academy and learning the knowledge, skills and abilities required to be an Encinitas Contract Ocean Lifeguard.
About the 2019/2020 Academy:
- The academy will begin Saturday, October 5th and will run through February 2020
- Classes will be held every Saturday and Sunday (weather and beach conditions permitting)
- Classes will not be held during holiday weekends
- Attendance is mandatory
- Gear and study materials will be provided by the City
- As part of the pre-hire process lifeguard trainees will be fingerprinted and subject to a pre-hire exam, with a drug screen at the City's expense
The City of Encinitas and the San Dieguito Water District provide equal opportunity employment for all persons without regard to race, color, religion/religious creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, physical disability, mental disability, marital status, age, ancestry, genetic information, medical condition, political affiliations, veteran status, Family Leave Act status, AB60 CA Driver's License status or status with pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding. The City and Water District encourage minorities, disabled persons and women to apply. Qualified applicants who move to the next level of the selection process must notify the Human Resources Office if accommodation is needed. A thorough background check will be conducted for the candidate(s) seriously considered for the position including fingerprinting and reference checking. A contingent job offer may be given pending the results of medical evaluation, which includes a physical and drug and alcohol screening. The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice.