City of Encinitas
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Traffic Engineering Specialist
at City of Encinitas
- The Position
The Engineering Specialist in the Traffic Division is responsible for overseeing the traffic signal system and performing a variety of engineering support duties ranging from basic support to advanced technical and senior level engineering support duties. Incumbents perform counter work, project inspections, and provide technical support and advice to the public, contractors, and engineers in support of the Traffic Engineering Division.
The Engineering Specialist is part of a multi-level classification and placement will be made at the I/II or III level.
- Examples of Important & Essential Duties (included but not limited to)
- Responds to requests for information and concerns from citizens, contractors, developers, permit companies, and/or other interested parties related to engineering, traffic, and/or City codes and standards at the service counter and/or over the phone; investigates complaints concerning construction projects, traffic, or other related engineering issues.
- Reviews plan check drawings for the issuance of building permits; reviews and approves traffic control requests/plans submitted by citizens, contractors, consultants, utility companies, and City crews;
- Drafts autocad schematics of maps and drawings; prepares diagrams and exhibits; reviews, and processes a variety of permit applications; issues a variety of permits; prepares, updates, retrieves, and files maps, plans, and drawings
- Implements engineering related decisions made by the City Council, the City Engineer, and the Traffic Engineer.
- Generates business correspondence, memos, flyers, and other related information which may require posting and/or publication; proofreads and revises agendas, memos, and correspondence; prepares staff reports;
- Represents the Department, City, and/or District by attending meetings, public events, and speaking engagements; attends staff meetings, inspector meetings, and/or job meetings; schedules and coordinates meetings, events, and appointments; leads pre-installation conferences for traffic signal work.
- Designing striping plans, traffic signals, traffic control plans; performs signal timing, design, and approval; issues transportation permits; performs full-range of traffic signal inspections; updates and maintains current and historical records related to traffic engineering; inspects traffic signal installation to determine if methodology and materials meet contract specifications.
- Provides on-the-job instruction and technical oversight to counter workers and plan checkers for traffic control plans and truck route permits.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
THE IDEAL CANDIDIATE WILL HAVE KNOWLEDE OF AND SKILLS IN: Customer service principles; modern office procedures, methods, and equipment; applicable Federal, state, and local laws, ordinances, codes, rules, and regulations; cartography, map interpretation techniques, and scale representation; report writing techniques; basic civil engineering principles; mathematical concepts; drafting techniques. prioritizing work; using computers and related software applications; providing customer service; managing multiple priorities simultaneously; providing customer service; performing mathematical calculations; using modern office equipment; preparing reports, documents, and other related correspondence; interpreting maps, drawings, legal descriptions, and plats; performing drafting; calculating fees; communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
- Minimum Qualifications
High School Diploma, or General Equivalency Diploma (G.E.D.), supplemented by engineering related coursework plus two years of construction, engineering, or traffic engineering work experience.
- Application Process and Deadline
- A completed City application with an attached resume AND cover letter
are required and must be received by
September 30, 2019
*** Incomplete application packets are not accepted ***
The City of Encinitas and the San Dieguito Water District provide equal opportunity employment for all persons without regard to race, color, religion/religious creed, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, physical disability, mental disability, marital status, age, ancestry, genetic information, medical condition, political affiliations, veteran status, Family Leave Act status, AB60 CA Driver's License status or status with pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding. The City and Water District encourage minorities, disabled persons and women to apply. Qualified applicants who move to the next level of the selection process must notify the Human Resources Office if accommodation is needed. A thorough background check will be conducted for the candidate(s) seriously considered for the position including fingerprinting and reference checking. A contingent job offer may be given pending the results of medical evaluation, which includes a physical and drug and alcohol screening. The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice.