City Of Oceanside, CA
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at City Of Oceanside, CA
- THE CITY OF OCEANSIDE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
The City of Oceanside is accepting applications for the position of Police Cadet. This is a part-time, non-benefited, civilian position. There are now three position available.
The Oceanside Police Department has the opportunity to use or access grant funding to award an internship and a scholarship to those selected. Along with a paid (20) hour a week Cadet position at the Police Department, each selected individual will receive a scholarship for tuition and expenses up to $2,500 annually for a period not to exceed two (2) years.
- Examples of Duties
- The Police Cadet provides assistance to the Police Department by performing a variety of duties including assisting with special events such as setting up barricades, traffic control, delivering and setting up equipment and materials; pick up, transport, deliver and place into storage archived files; provides courier service to the Police Department; may assist customers at the public counter of the Police Department; and performs other related duties as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications
Applicants must be at least 18 up to 20 ½ years of age, possess a high school diploma or equivalent and must be currently enrolled on a full-time basis in an accredited college or university program with emphasis in criminal justice, and/or demonstrate intent to pursue a degree in criminal justice or related field.
- Successfully complete and submit the application form.
- Be a high school graduate or graduating senior with an overall 2.5 GPA.
- Be enrolled in an accredited college or university and pursuing a degree or Certificate in a field related to the policing profession. It will be the applicant's responsibility to demonstrate how the selected field of study is related to the policing profession.
- Maintain a 2.5 GPA or higher while enrolled at an accredited college or university with a minimum of twelve (12) semester units each semester. Failure to maintain the minimum 2.5 GPA or semester units will result in the loss of the cadet internship and the scholarship.
- Does not have to be a resident of the City of Oceanside; however, Oceanside residents will be given preference.
- Not be eligible to apply as a police officer at time of starting cadet internship and receiving scholarship.
- Must submit two (2) letters of recommendation from teachers, counselors, or employers, etc.
- Successfully pass a thorough police background, polygraph, psychological, and a medical examination, which will include drug screening.
- Does not have to be an Explorer; however, preference will be given to members of the Explorer Program within the Oceanside Police Department. If selected, the applicant must submit a memorandum to the Captain of the Patrol Division withdrawing from the Explorer Program.
- Possess a valid California Class C Driver's License at time of appointment.
APPLICANTS MUST ATTACH A COPY OF THEIR TRANSCRIPTS TO THE APPLICATION
- Working Conditions and Selection Process
Environmental Conditions: Office in Police Department; driving a City vehicle; field environment in all types of weather; may be in heavily trafficked City streets; exposure to potentially dangerous situations associated with law enforcement; exposure to computer screens.
Physical Conditions: Essential functions may require maintaining physical condition necessary for kneeling, lifting, bending, sitting and standing for prolonged periods of time; speaking and hearing to exchange information; visual acuity to read and interpret information.
Selection Process: All applications and supplemental questionnaires will be reviewed, and the most appropriately qualified individuals will be invited to continue in the selection process.
Note: Prospective employees will undergo, and must successfully pass, a background reference check (including fingerprinting) and a medical examination. Drug screening may be required.RESUMES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED IN LIEU OF COMPLETED APPLICATION FORMS BUT MAY BE ATTACHED.CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE A REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION IN THE SELECTION PROCESS SHOULD STATE THEIR NEEDS IN WRITING WHEN SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION.THE PROVISIONS OF THIS BULLETIN DO NOT CONSTITUTE AN EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CONTRACT. ANY PROVISION CONTAINED IN THIS BULLETIN MAY BE MODIFIED OR REVOKED WITHOUT NOTICE.