City of Poway
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at City of Poway
- The City of Poway's Public Works Department is seeking an experienced and motivated individual for the role of Contract Specialist/Inspector. In addition to having excellent interpersonal, communication and written skills, our ideal candidate will also have experience in public works contract administration and construction/maintenance. If you have a passion for public service and an aspiration to work in one of the most desirable cities to live in San Diego County, we encourage you to apply!
Under general supervision, this position administers and oversees various service and maintenance contracts and ensures compliance with terms and conditions; performs maintenance and technical inspections to monitor contractor work in progress involving public improvement projects and maintenance related to lighting and traffic signal district, facility maintenance, contract janitorial and in-house services, security and fire alarm systems/operations, street sweeping, fire extinguishers, parks and landscapes, and other City contract services; and performs related work as required.This position receives general supervision from the Facilities Maintenance & Special Districts Supervisor or assigned supervisor. This position exercises no direct supervision over staff.
- Key Responsibilities
- Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
- Conducts inspections and oversees contract operations related to security and fire alarm systems, fire extinguishers, pond maintenance, landscaping, street lighting, traffic signal, janitorial, and facility projects; ensures compliance with contract terms and conditions and that work in progress is performed to standards and codes; receives, reviews, and approves all related billings.
- Conducts surveys to inspect the following areas: arterial street lighting, traffic signal safety lighting and street sign lighting, traffic signal operations, all facility lighting and any additional special night assignment/inspections upon request.
- Inspects new construction and contractor installations of lighting district installs, facilities, parks, landscaping and any other public improvement projects upon request to ensure installation procedures and safety practices are being followed, correct materials are being used, project is on schedule, and the contractor is adhering to all rules, regulations, and expectations within the scope of the project.
- Performs, or ensures that contractor performs, underground "dig alert" mark-outs for all City maintained conduit that is not marked out by the City's Water division, including street lights, traffic signals, facility lighting, park irrigation systems, and other utilities.
- Generates and submits work orders to contracts for janitorial, street lighting, traffic signal, and landscaping services as a result of problems discovered by inspections, staff concerns, citizen concerns, scheduling changes, special events, and any other special requests.
- Monitors contract expenditures and identifies budget transfers as needed.
- Performs detailed plan checks and inspection of project submittals related to assigned areas to ensure adherence to established policies and sound engineering practices and that completed construction will integrate with existing infrastructure and minimize future operational and maintenance cost.
- Meets with staff from all departments to ensure facility contract service levels and expectations are being met and to discuss schedule changes, incidental problems, or changes in procedure.
- Meets with contract owners or representatives to discuss issues, procedures, billing adjustments, and contract adjustments.
- Meets with Department Directors, Managers, and staff to discuss improvements or changes regarding contract services and to identify and assess alternatives to areas of continual problems; implements changes in services to better serve the City's interests and oversees the new contractor or procedures.
- Participates in the development of public bids and RFP agreements, in establishing new contracts and creating new procedures and guidelines to existing contracts that need improvement or that are up for potential renewal; develops and administers complex contracts including maintenance or service contracts and agreements.
- Serves as a project manager for and administers the annual painting contract.
- Participates and assists Special District in the annual street light re-lamping program.
- Receives, reviews, and approves billings submitted by pond and fountain, security and fire, traffic signal, street lighting, janitorial, HVAC cleaning, landscaping, painting, and flooring contractors.
- Maintains and protects the privacy of all security codes throughout the City; maintains gate codes and makes changes as necessary.
- Inspects and assesses damage to facilities and assessment district property that has been damaged or destroyed by accidents or vandalism.
- Makes minor field repairs to street lights, traffic signals, and facilities.
- Acts as a liaison between the department and other departments, vendors, contractors, and the public; responds to customer, citizen, and staff concerns; responds to any Public Works field problems encountered throughout the work day, including safety hazards or violations observed, road hazards, pot holes, animal removal, irrigation problems, stalled vehicles, traffic accidents, and sewer problems; investigates complaints and affects resolutions.
- Conducts surveys, studies, and researches departmental practices, procedures, and operations and makes recommendations for improvements.
- Prepares memos, reports, and other documentation for managers, contractors, City employees, and others; keeps records and reports filed.
- Attendance and punctuality that is observant of scheduled hours on a regular basis.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum Requirements/License or Certificates Required
- ExperienceThree years of contract administration, including two years of experience in construction and maintenance.Education/Training:Equivalent to the completion of the 12th grade supplemented by two years of college or equivalent education (i.e., minimum completed California units = 60 semester/90 quarter) from an accredited educational institution with specialized training in construction/maintenance technology.Licenses and Certifications:
Physical DemandsMust possess mobility to work in the field and in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment, including a computer, to operate a motor vehicle, drive on surface streets, and make inspections; strength, stamina, and mobility to perform light physical work; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone or radio. The job involves fieldwork requiring frequent walking uneven terrain and landscapes when performing inspections. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard or calculator and to operate above-mentioned tools and equipment. Positions in this classification bend, stoop, kneel, reach, and climb to perform work and inspect work sites. Employees must possess the ability to lift, carry, push and pull materials and objects weighing up to 40 pounds.Environmental ElementsEmployees partly work in the office and partly in the field and are occasionally exposed to loud noise levels, cold and hot temperatures, inclement weather conditions, road hazards, mechanical and/or electrical hazards, and hazardous physical substances and fumes. Employees may interact with upset staff and/or public and private representatives and contractors in interpreting and enforcing departmental policies and procedures.
- Valid California class C driver's license with satisfactory driving record.
- Examination Process
A completed NeoGov application, including supplemental questions, must be submitted through NeoGov for consideration by the application deadline. Application materials will not be accepted separate from NeoGov or after the deadline.
A FULLY COMPLETED APPLICATION AND RESPONSES TO SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS ARE REQUIRED AND PART OF THE REVIEW AND QUALIFYING PROCESS. QUESTIONS MUST BE ANSWERED COMPLETELY.
Applicants will be evaluated on the basis of relevant training, education, experience and writing skills as presented in the application and supplemental questions. The process may include interviews and/or performance tests. Successful candidates will be placed on the eligibility list established, which will be in effect for a period of up to six months. A background investigation including LIVESCAN fingerprinting and a verification of a valid driver's license and satisfactory driving record from the Department of Motor Vehicles may be required.