Gonzalez Northgate Markets
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Meat Clerk - Store # 28 PT
at Gonzalez Northgate Markets
Our first store opened on January 2nd, 1980 in Anaheim CA and since then we have grown to 40 stores in three counties: Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego. We offer our customers a full service supermarket with a large meat department, bakery, tortilleria and prepared foods in addition to a sizeable section of domestic and imported Latin American grocery goods to provide a Mexican homeland experience. We are always looking for great people to join as a member of the Northgate Family. We look for enthusiastic people with the potential and desire to grow with us. We strive to create a great work environment that is positive and fun; where people have meaningful work, where individuals have a sense of belonging and feel appreciated, valued and secure. If you are passionate about food, are customer focused, team oriented, and want to be a part of our family, we invite you to apply! We offer opportunities for growth, 10% discount for you and one other family member in your household for most purchases made at Northgate and flexible schedules. To learn more, please visit www.northgatemarkets.com.
JOB SUMMARY: To provide customer assistance in a prompt and diligent manner; to ensure that the work shift contributes to the financial best interests of the store.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The essential duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Maintain a neat, well-groomed personal appearance at all times and observe company dress regulations; must wear an approved hat or hair net.
- Adhere to all local, state and federal health and civil code regulations; adhere to all state, county and local weights and measure laws.
- Wrap, weigh and price all meats and related products processed in the department; follow approved procedures for weighing, wrapping, price marking and restocking cases to ensure quality protection, accuracy and product rotation.
- Take finished products to refrigerated storage or shelf areas.
- Be familiar with invoice documents and confirm accuracy of item descriptions, sizes, quantities and pricing when processing vendor deliveries of supplies and deli products; record invoice documents accurately on the receiving log and place signed invoice in the designated secured area.
- Assist in keeping refrigerated cases and display shelves properly stocked and faced at all times according to product movement and department standards.
- Code date and rotate all prepared cuts or product placed in temporary storage areas to ensure proper product rotation, quality and freshness.
- Maintain general housekeeping and sanitation standards in compliance with store policy and state and local health regulations on a regular, ongoing basis.
- Notify meat manager of personnel situations or policy violations affecting store operating performance or of situations requiring disciplinary action or that may potentially require such action.
- Observe security standards by staying alert and being aware of customer actions and behavior; report to manager or security any abnormal behavior.
- Perform any other work-related duties as assigned.
- Communicate temperature irregularities to department team leader.
- Contribute to the control of department expenses and energy conservation practices; control excessive use of utilities and water and observe sound conservation practices.
- Greet all customers and maintain good customer relations by providing them with prompt and courteous service and assistance.
- Contribute towards ensuring a favorable department image with customers through a clean, attractive and friendly department.
- Maintain good communications with superiors and coworkers throughout the organization.
- Use and maintain equipment in good working order; immediately advise store director or the key person in charge of any maintenance or equipment problems.
- Comply with safety policies and procedures and ensure that all department personnel follow as well.
REQUIREMENTS AND CONDITIONS:
- High School education preferred but not required.
- Successful completion of an apprenticeship/training program or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- (None Required)
- Ability to hear, speak and understand the spoken word in English in order to respond promptly to pages for assistance, to accommodate verbal requests from customers for information or assistance, to answer telephones, and to be able to communicate effectively with others.
- Ability to read, write, analyze, interpret and understand the English language with sufficient proficiency in order to read and understand instructions for operating electronic equipment and tools; company handbooks, policies and procedures; and other written job related documents.
- Be fully knowledgeable and thoroughly familiar with all of the various cuts and types of meat products sold in the department including recommended uses or cooking methods and store/department procedures, policies and operations.
- Be able to pass a standard drug test and qualify as being drug free under the legal and medical guidelines permitted by the Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988;
Physical Demands and Work Conditions
The physical demands and work conditions described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Some requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with disabilities:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, and use the hands to handle, finger, or feel objects, tools or controls.
- Successful performance requires vision abilities that include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Be able to lift up to 70 pounds carrying cartons of poultry, cases of meat products, deli merchandise, etc. be able to climb a ladder to retrieve items stored in overhead racks such as trays and wrapping material; be able to sweep and mop floors and lift and carry out trash containers to be emptied in an outside bin.
- Have sufficient physical mobility or agility to be able to respond quickly to fire or other emergencies and sufficient dexterity to disassemble, clean and adjust meat department equipment or to clear label jams, etc.
- Be able to work in an environment that has fresh fruits, vegetables, and latex gloves without negative allergic consequences that adversely affect performance.
- The work environment includes continuous duties in refrigerated cutting rooms and storage areas (relatively high humidity) with occasional duties in frozen food storage boxes maintained at temperatures as low as 20 degrees (Fahrenheit) below zero.
- The work environment includes working on surfaces that can be wet and slippery.
- Typically, the noise level in the work environment is moderate; however, on occasion, it can be extremely noisy when the employee must enter the compressor/machine room to check on refrigeration equipment or when working with power tools and equipment.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER NOTICE
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors, and the requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. The Employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and to require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business or the work environment change.
Northgate Markets is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Your Right to Work – In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Northgate Markets will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the California Fair Employment and Housing Act (Ban the Box Law).