Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Family Support Worker (First 5 First Steps)
at Home Start
Home Start, founded in 1972, is a non-profit social services agency dedicated to preventing child abuse and neglect in San Diego County, We are currently seeking a responsible individual to deliver Home Visits and the supporting documentation according to Healthy Families of America and First 5 First Steps policies and procedures. We are searching for a bilingual (English/Arabic) Family Support Worker for the Targeted Home Visitation Program (First 5 First Steps). This position will be responsible for conducting family assessments and assisting in conducting outreach and education regarding program services.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides case management services including: identification of family needs and goals on case plan with ongoing monitoring and follow-up on progress towards those goals.
- Provides services to clients including, but not limited to supportive counseling, crisis intervention, mentoring, and parent education.
- Utilizes the PAT curriculum to families educate parents on developmental milestones and provide activities to enhance child’s learning.
- Provides support to families in identifying and obtaining community resources.
- Maintains a flexible working schedule to accommodate families’ schedule.
- Maintains accurate and timely case records documenting all services provided.
- Maintains monthly reporting and data entry as required by the contract.
- Monitors participants’ progress in developing skills needed to assure positive outcomes
- Assures security of confidential information and materials.
- Networks and develops relationships with various community service agencies.
- Attends agency, program and collaborative meetings as assigned.
- Accepts direction and reports to Family Support Worker Supervisor or Program Manager direct supervision.
- Attends and participates in training as appropriate.
Skill / Requirements
Education: A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in child development, social work, psychology, education and/or related human services field. Demonstrated experience in in-home, low income, family-based services and/or commensurate experience may qualify. Knowledge: Knowledge of community resources. Abilities: Demonstrated ability to be culturally sensitive and respect diversity. Ability to provide support, structure, empathy, sound judgment, insight into human behavior and family relations. Skills: Effective communication skills. Must be a team player and be able to work independently. Computer literate as appropriate. Bilingual in Arabic preferred.
- Reading and typing on a computer frequently.
- Sitting for long periods of time at required meetings, supervision and home visits.
- Daily traveling in car to in home visits.
- Walking to and from visits
- Sitting on the floor during visits
- Office space may be shared with frequent telephone and visitor contacts
- The noise level fluctuates from quiet to noisy.
- When the office is full, it is a challenge to find a quiet and private location to hold a meeting.
- Flexible hours with occasional evenings and weekends response
Home Start is proud to be recognized as one of the 50 Best Nonprofits to Work For in 2012, 2011 and 2010 from the NonProfit Times Nationwide program; one of San Diego's 50 Best Places to Work from the San Diego Business Journals 2009 10th Annual Best Places to Work program; a 2011 and 2012 Medallion Winner in the San Diego Workplace Excellence Awards sponsored by the Society for Human Resources Management, and a finalist in the San Diego U-T Top Work Places for 2013.