Hornblower Cruises & Events
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Marine Mechanic / Electrical Technician
at Hornblower Cruises & Events
CA - San Diego
Marine Mechanic/Electrical Technician
Do you share Hornblower's passion for providing amazing experiences? If you’re an enthusiastic team player who thrives in an environment where communication, creativity and cooperation are encouraged, this may just be the opportunity for you. As we say at Hornblower, why work when you can cruise?
Hornblower Cruises & Events is in need of a Marine Mechanic / Electrical Technician to join its Bay Area operations. This position is responsible for performing complex mechanical and electrical/electronic repair, maintenance, specification and installation of equipment in a shipboard and support facility environment. Hands-on position that will also handle scheduling and records management. Requires proficiency in operation, maintenance and repair of main propulsion machinery, auxiliary machinery and supporting systems (electrical, plumbing, electronics and HVAC in a commercial marine environment).
Position specific responsibilities:
- Responsible for assessing and ensuring vessel readiness: reporting of problems, proactive service, and maintenance, troubleshooting and repairs.
- Reports any and all safety hazards and corrects unsafe conditions
- Maintain logs and follow up reports: including engine operating data, run hours, inspections, repairs, etc. (utilizing a computerized maintenance program); asset/equipment lists and consumable supply/parts inventory
- Maintains all work/engineering spaces, company tools, and equipment in a clean and organized manner
- Performs skilled mechanical, electrical and plumbing, maintenance, diagnosis, repair and refitting aboard vessels and shoreside settings.
- Performs general maintenance, including painting and cleaning in machinery spaces
- Responsible for various department systems including: fuel level monitoring, lubrication and coolant, hazardous waste disposal/management, MDS sheets
- Conduct crew training to ensure engineering standards and procedures are followed
- Interface with USCG on inspections, safety and engineering
- Four years’ experience operating, maintaining and repairing shipboard machinery and systems; gained through work experience, an accredited apprenticeship/degree program, or combination of both.
- Proficiency with common marine shop equipment and tools including drills, grinders, presses, pullers, pipe threading equipment, saws, and welders
- Clean DMV record and valid CDL (position requires driving between locations)
- TWIC card (or ability to get one upon hire)
- Merchant Mariner Document or ability to get one within 6 months desirable
- Ability to work in adverse weather conditions
- Good team player with a sense of urgency and collegiality
- Physically demanding job requiring ability to stand, reach, bend, stoop and walk up and down stairs and on uneven/moving surfaces
- Computer skills (MS Office Suite, Maintenance Program such as Sinex/Wheelhouse
Hornblower Cruises & Events has been the leading yacht and public dining cruise company in the United States for more than 32 years. Companies under the Hornblower umbrella include Alcatraz Cruises, Hornblower Classic Cable Cars, Statue Cruises, Niagara Cruises and NYC Ferry, operated by Hornblower.
Hornblower is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Hornblower participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations.
Hornblower is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may call us at 415-635-2285.