|Additional Information: || |
The software engineer will work with a multidisciplinary technology development and scientific research team to develop cutting edge mobile health research tools at the intersection of genetics, bioinformatics, digital health, and behavioral sciences. This individual reports to the Director of Genomics at the Scripps Research Translational Institute, and will will work with a small team of computational and quantitative biologists on human genomics research applications focused on the detection of novel genetic associations and the use of genetic information in precision medicine initiatives. The primary role of this individual will be to provide practical, creative, and comprehensive software engineering solutions for the development, maintenance, and enhancement of the MyGeneRank (https://mygenerank.scripps.edu/) mobile application for the execution modernized genetic research studies.
Responsibilities and Duties:
Lead the backend mobile platform development and expansion of application capabilities, including but not limited to:
* Work as part of a small software development team to further develop and maintain the current MyGeneRank smartphone application.
* Support expansion of MyGeneRank to the Android platform.
* Communicate and collaborate with partners to enhance platform capabilities.
* Troubleshoot, analyze, and repair mobile application systems by utilizing standard engineering and scientific principles. Improve platform performance and reliability.
* Provide documentation and makes technical presentations, as required.
* Maintain the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
* Effectively communicates across a multidisciplinary team, external organizations and geographic areas. Seeks information regarding compliance with electronic human subjects research, privacy policies, and other regulations regarding the use and display of human health data. Contacts include all levels of administrative and scientific staff.
* Performs other duties and tasks as required or requested.
|Preferred Qualifications: || |
* Strong CS fundamentals (data structures and algorithms)
* Extensive experience with Object-Oriented Programming languages, Java or its equivalency
* Experience developing scalable web applications with Django, NodeJS or similar frameworks.
* Proficiency with Docker and Dockerized applications
* Experience with cloud platforms like AWS, Azure or Heroku
* Familiarity with version control tool i.e. Git, SVN
* Solid understanding of relational databases
* Actively write unit tests in framework just like Jest
* Experience working with Android and iOS SDK components
* Working Linux/UNIX knowledge, including scripting in bash/perl/python/ruby
* Experience with distributed system design and debugging
* Contribution to open source libraries
|EEO Statement || |
The Scripps Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic or status.