LB&B Associates Inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Master Maritime Instructor
at LB&B Associates Inc.
- 25-Jan-2019 to 03-Jan-2020 (EST)
- Division 28 - NSST
- San Diego, CA, USA
- Full Time
LB&B Associates Inc. performs Contractor Instructional Services for US Navy Navigational Seamanship Ship-Handling Training (NSST) to the US Navy at Naval Station Norfolk VA, Naval Station Mayport FL, Naval Station San Diego CA, Naval Station Everett WA, Naval Station Pearl Harbor HI, US Navy Base Sasebo Japan, and US Navy Base Yokosuka Japan.
LB&B Associates is searching for full time equivalent instructors in San Diego, CA in support of the Mariner Skills Training Center being established at Naval Base San Diego. Pay is commensurate with experience and certifications and established collective bargaining agreements. Travel may be required to support initial training away from home port not expected to exceed five weeks. Secret clearance is required, and must currently have or be able to obtain.
Instructors are expected to be able to teach U.S. Navy surface warfare officers and enlisted watch standers who are participating in various navigation, seamanship, and ship handling courses as well as participate in curriculum development as directed by the Surface Warfare Officer School as part of a new course of instruction for the Junior Officers of the Deck (Underway) and Officers of the Deck (Underway). Training provided to the students is expected to be a combination of classroom instruction and simulator instruction. Candidates must be very computer literate and able to learn advanced maritime simulator software and tools quickly. Candidates must also have practical knowledge of adult learning principles, practices, and methods.
INSTRUCTOR QUALIFICATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Former senior navy surface ship commanding officer with at least 3 years in command, at sea service, OR U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) licensed as a master, any gross tons, oceans, with 3 years at sea experience, as a ships master;
- Have received appropriate guidance in instructional techniques and competency assessment methods and practice involving the use of simulators AND possess at least 2 years' experience in conducting training and assessment using a full mission or part task bridge simulator;
If the candidate does not meet the second qualification above, then the candidate must meet the following two requirements:
- Completed a USCG accepted Train the Trainer program based upon IMO model course 6.09 Training Course for Instructors; AND
- Completed A-061-0042 VMS Operator Course or A-061-0044 VMS 9 Operator or approved equivalent.
Additionally, all candidates must meet the following:
- Demonstrated expert level knowledge and understanding of NSS subject areas outlined in this section, NSS Training Requirements Document (TRD), current version of the Surface Ship Navigation Department Organization and Regulations Manual (NAVDORM), standard Navy conning commands, maritime education and training best practices, U.S. Navy Surface Ship particulars and maneuvering characteristics for all ship classes.
The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Employer is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability status, ancestry, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other protected factor by country, regional or local law.