Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Director of Evaluation and Learning
at MAAC Project
|Location:||Administration - Chula Vista, CA|
|FT/PT Status:||Regular Full Time|
MAAC is seeking an experienced professional to serve as its Director of Evaluation and Learning. A new position created to support the organization's growth strategies, the Director of Evaluation and Learning will lead the design and implementation of a coordinated and comprehensive plan for measuring the impact of its programs and services, to ensure that the MAAC can deepen and broaden its positive influence on the lives of the children, individuals, and families it serves. The Director of Evaluation and Learning will provide leadership and day-to-day guidance for all learning and evaluation activities at MAAC, including data collection, measurement and evaluation, monitoring and communicating outcomes, reporting and staff leadership- and professional-development trainings.
The Director of Evaluation and Learning will, in collaboration with other departments, build internal capacity for self-assessment and lead efforts to conceptualize and implement a strategic learning and evaluation plan designed to clarify core organizational strategies, improve internal program practices, monitor achievement of goals, inform policy/advocacy decisions, identify ongoing community needs, and shape future programmatic growth. Responsible for ongoing leadership and professional development opportunities for the organization’s 450+ staff members, the Director of Evaluation and Learning will be deeply knowledgeable about adult learning principles and practices and be able to engage, lead, motivate, train, and manage a diverse and high performing team.
This collaborative and motivational leader will provide strategic guidance to staff and represent the organization to internal and external constituents such as board members, senior leadership staff, elected officials and community leaders. The Director of Evaluation and Learning will use exceptional written and oral communication skills and knowledge of organizational development and learning to build upon the considerable groundwork laid thus far to increase the performance and impact of our programs and services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.
Build capacity for, implement and manage internal systems for conducting ongoing outcomes measurement and assessments
- Participate in conversations with MAAC staff, board members and other key stakeholders to determine appropriate metrics and benchmarks for organizational success
- Conduct a thorough review of all existing programs and services data collection practices
- Develop and manage the system for collecting, integrating, analyzing and distributing organizational and program-specific impacts and outcomes data, including both quantitative and qualitative measures
- Develop and/or modify methodologies and data collection tools needed to assess program progress, such as pre/post-tests, surveys, assessments, interview guides, and focus group protocols
- Develops overall organizational performance measurement framework and indicators, linking conceptual models to program monitoring and evaluation, and identifying strategies and models for replication
- Actively participate in strategic planning efforts and lead efforts to track progress towards meeting strategic plan goals
- Create strategic evaluation plans that measure progress and success against key metrics for both internal program-improvement, as well as for external reporting purposes
- Independently or with external vendors, design and implement evaluation tools to support the strategic evaluation plans, including both quantitative and qualitative methods as appropriate
- Manage a portfolio of strategic evaluations, working closely with the program staff to assure that the evaluations provide quality, useful and timely information
- Train staff and partners and provide tools to ensure proper application of evaluation techniques and applications
- Serve as MAAC’s resident expert for evaluation and measurement for any internal and external programs and activities and as the organization's primary relationship manager and liaison for all data-collection/evaluation projects lead by external partners and consultants
- Collaborate closely with the Information Technology (IT) team in the development and operation of systems needed to support the design, implementation and operation of data tracking
Disseminate and translate outcomes data to a variety of constituencies:
- Cultivate and maintain a library of all relevant program measurement data that is up-to-date and easily accessed by the entire MAAC team
- Analyze and communicate complex data in a manner that is accessible to a variety of audiences, including staff, board, funders, stakeholders, partners, and participants
- Convene and facilitate groups to interpret and examine data, make decisions, and move to action
- Work with Executive Leadership Staff and the Senior Leadership Team to effectively monitor and communicate to internal audiences the results on key performance indicators, including board dashboards, presentations at key meetings, etc.
- Create systems for using data to provide ongoing feedback and support to MAAC staff for the improvement of program practices
- Partner with the brand and communications team to ensure that accurate and compelling data is integrated into marketing collateral and key communications messages
- Strategize with the fund development team and provide appropriate and accurate outcomes data for grant reports, cases for support, grants, sponsorships, and other revenue generating opportunities; author text for evaluation plans and logic models
- Produce publications, presentations, research resources and briefing/white papers designed to inform community stakeholders, funders, the field and policy makers
- Represent MAAC publically and regularly present/speak on MAAC’s evaluation and learning work to a variety of audiences (existing and potential funders, partners, policy makers, etc.)
- Coordinate effective dissemination of findings, conclusions, recommendations, and lessons-learned from evaluations, with a view to improving program design and strategy, and contributing to wider learning
Develop and manage leadership and professional development opportunities for MAAC team:
- Promote a culture of reflection, learning, and data-based decision making among MAAC staff and participants.
- Lead the planning and implementation of the annual all-staff conference, including identification of staff-development opportunities and coordination of the cross-departmental conference planning team
- Lead ongoing professional development sessions and meetings with the MAAC management team
- In coordination with Executive Leadership Staff, lead the conceptualization and implementation of the MAAC leadership academy
- Lead convenings and exercises with the Senior Leadership Team to reflect on organizational strategy, goal-setting, progress, achievements and priorities
- Support the leadership and professional development needs of individual programs and departments
- Identify and coordinate ongoing opportunities to develop leadership skills and competencies across the organization
- Serve as a key resource and strategic thought partner to senior leaders throughout the organization
- Increase the knowledge and engagement of MAAC Board by staffing committees, providing relevant information/presentations and coordinating opportunities for Board involvement
- Manage all administrative aspects of research and evaluation, including budget, staffing, data collection logistics and other related duties
- Participate in special projects and perform additional tasks assigned.
- A typical way of obtaining the knowledge, skills and abilities outlined above is graduation from a recognized four-year college or university with a bachelors’ degree in Statistics, Economics, Demography nonprofit administration, public policy, public administration, public affairs, or a closely related field AND at least five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in developing plans and indicators to measure intended outcomes, conducting evaluations and disseminating learnings, at least three (3) of which have been at a supervisory level, in non-profit management, education, social services or other such similar agency or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- A Master’s Degree in a related field and bilingual Spanish/English are preferred.
- Passionate: Driven by MAAC’s mission to maximize self-sufficiency for families and individuals; keeps the wellbeing of those MAAC serves at the heart of all programmatic efforts.
- Team Player: Fosters a respectful, transparent, and collaborative work environment.
- Growth Mindset: Says "yes" to appropriate new opportunities and ideas for MAAC.
- Positivity: Charismatic, warm and welcoming; a true "people-person".
- Tact & Diplomacy: Patient, and willing/able to have the difficult conversations as required.
- Reflective: Skilled at receiving and giving feedback and performance critiques.
- Metrics-Driven: An innovative thinker, pairing ideas with solutions and measurable outcomes.
- Flexibility: Comfortable with ambiguity; sees challenges as an opportunity for growth, and sees things through to completion.
- Meticulous: Superior attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Planning and Process Management: Exceptional mind for optimizing workflow and managing people, systems, procedures, and programs.
- Agility: Ability to adjust to changes and to work effectively in a fast-paced office environment; initiate action and work independently, as well as part of a team.
- Community-minded: Skilled at connecting with people across the community, and possesses a high level of emotional intelligence.
- Communicative: Strong written and oral communication skills.
Union Membership ( if applicable):