Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Oasis Systems
- Requisition Number
Oasis Systems has an exciting opportunity for a full time Chief Mate in San Diego, CA. The Acoustic Explorer (A/E) is a NAVAIR asset primarily used for the testing and evaluation of production evaluation and R&D of sonobuoys operating in Southern California in and around San Clemente Island. The A/E is a 130' house forward, ex-supply boat acquired by the Navy in 1987. The vessel is powered by two, 16V92 Detroit Diesels main engines and two 671 75kw gensets. There are two hydraulic systems onboard, deployment winches, and a 6k deck crane. The vessel is based in Point Loma, San Diego, CA. The work schedule is 9-hour work days, with every other Friday off when in port. The vessel averages about 12 days at sea per month but may be at sea for greater amounts of time periodically.
LOCATION: San Diego, California
JOB STATUS: Full time
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS (Education, Certifications, Experience, Skills)
SECURITY CLEARANCE: Must hold a Secret Clearance
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or equivalent
EXPERIENCE LEVEL: See below
- Must have at least three (3) years of experience in the safe operation of vessels in accordance with Inland and International Rules of the Road and in operating in and out of San Diego harbor, including towing operations.
- Must have at least three (3) years of experience in the safe operation of Research Vessels at-sea in all weather conditions and in recognizing unsafe practices and taking or directing action to correct same.
- Must have at least three (3) years of experience in reading and understanding Naval messages, navigational charts, weather reports, notices to mariners, and other forms of communications that have an effect on vessels operating at-sea.
- At least three (3) years of experience examining navigation charts and laying out tracks for safely navigating vessels to and from port operating areas. Included is the determination of underway times and speeds required to have vessel on station in accordance with scheduled requirements.
- At least three (3) years of experience in the safe and proper open-ocean deployment/recovery procedures for RDT&E test equipment.
- At least three (3) years of experience with the restrictions imposed by oil pollution control and environmental control acts and the proper procedures for compliance with the same.
- Experience identifying the different sonobuoy types, their operational characteristics, and their functional setting selections is beneficial.
- Experience directing the recovery of deployed sonobuoys, identifying their major components, and recognizing/reporting any deployment anomalies.
- Be thoroughly familiar with the waters and ports in which the vessel normally deployed.
- Be thoroughly familiar with the courtesies to be followed when operating with Fleet units and other Commands.
- Be thoroughly familiar with the restrictions and security/safety rules to be complied with when operating in Fleet op-areas or transiting through submarine transit lanes.
- Have a thorough understanding of and be experienced with proper communication procedures both on the airwaves and underwater.
- Be capable of analyzing operational problems and making recommendations for correcting the same.
- Be capable of conducting routine operations in harmony with, and while providing assistance to, the military and/or civilian test personnel that may be embarked.
- Be thoroughly familiar with the rules and regulations to be complied with when operating a vessel in inland waters in all weather conditions.
- Be capable of recognizing unsafe conditions or practices and making recommendations for correcting the same.
Who We Are
Oasis Systems is a premier provider of customer-driven, cost-effective and quality Engineering Services; Enterprise Systems and Applications; Human Factors Engineering; Information Technology and Cyber Security; Professional Services; and Specialized Engineering Solutions to the Department of Defense, FAA, NRC and other federal agencies.
We strive to be an exciting and welcoming company that attracts, develops, motivates and retains the most talented, skilled and dedicated people in the industry; where they are encouraged to achieve personal excellence, purpose, and their full potential and career aspirations; while supporting mission-critical national security technologies and programs.
Oasis Systems is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of any legally protected characteristic including, but not limited to, race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, age, medical condition, military veteran status or on the basis of physical handicap which, with reasonable accommodation, render the application to satisfactorily perform the job available.