Neighborhood House Association
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
NUTRITION SERVICES DRIVER (Part Time & On-Call) ***IMMEDIATE OPENINGS***
at Neighborhood House Association
Under general supervision, the Nutrition Services Delivery Driver drives a high cube truck to pick up and deliver milk, prepared hot and cold food, supplies, and equipment to child development centers, schools, centers, and similar sites to meet meal pattern guidelines established by the USDA and contract guidelines or for catered meals.
Although this position exercises some independent judgment within reason, the Nutrition Services Delivery Driver refers to supervisor for matters related to: major concerns regarding milk, food, or supply deliveries; exception requests from Site Supervisors, teachers, etc.; decisions that might have budgetary impacts; and identified irregularities and inconsistencies that happen at the site level.
The ideal candidate is a self-motivated, independent worker who possesses a solid knowledge of safe food handling and transporting procedures, experience in working with refrigeration and freezer temperatures; warehouse practices and procedures; stock and inventory control procedures, including requisitioning, receiving, storing, issuing and delivering goods; recordkeeping and filing systems; operation of standard warehouse and delivery equipment, including pallet jacks and dollies; safe work practices applicable to operation of delivery vehicles, equipment, and working in a kitchen. The ideal candidate will have the ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate effectively in the English language; operate a high cube truck; learn delivery routes and locations; Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; meet schedules and timelines; make independent decisions and judgments in the field without direct supervision when pertaining to the delivery schedule, rotating stock, and deciding on the appropriate time to take scheduled breaks and fuel stops; conduct mathematical calculations throughout the day to ensure the food, milk, and/or supply delivery is exact and that the daily total delivery is correct; read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals; write routine reports and correspondences; and provide excellent customer service. The incumbent must have demonstrated experience working with culturally and ethnically diverse, low income or no income clients and unique populations.
- Graduation from high school or successful completion of a GED program;
- Basic computer skills;
- At least two (2) years of experience as a delivery driver;
- A valid Food Handlers Card is required upon hire;
- Must meet and maintain state law and county licensing requirements regarding employment in a child care center (fingerprints, TB, vaccinations, health screening, etc).
- A minimum of 1 year food handling experience;
- Knowledge of the San Diego County geographical area;
Please note: Drivers will be evaluated by NHA’s insurance provider and may be excluded from the auto policy if they meet any of the following criteria:
- More than two moving violations and/or accidents (or a combination of the two) within the past three years
- A major violation(s) during the past 5 years. They include (but are not limited to):
- Driving while intoxicated or under the influence (DWI/DUI/OWI/OUI)
- Leaving the scene of an accident (hit and run)
- Careless or reckless driving
- Manslaughter/homicide or assault through use of a motor vehicle
- Fleeing/eluding a police officer
- Commission of a felony
- More than 3 vehicle related suspensions/reinstatements over a three-year period. Count these separately from the other violations.
- Drivers who currently have a suspended, expired or revoked license.
- Any other violation acknowledged by the insurance carrier.
Example of Major Functions:
- Drive a delivery truck on a regular, prearranged schedule and route between kitchen and delivery/pick-up sites;
- Load food containers into transport carts and deliver to specified food service locations;
- Load and offload supplies, materials, food transport carts, and milk cases onto high cube truck and make deliveries to specified food service locations;
- Use pallet jack, dolly, and hydraulic lift to load and unload carts and other materials;
- Place food in designated areas of kitchens;
- Measure temperature of hot and cold food and take corrective action as needed to ensure meals are left in a safe and sanitary manner at food service locations;
- Obtain signed receipt or Transport Record of meal, supply, and/or milk delivery signatures at point of delivery;
- Assist in daily kitchen cleanup at and around the Nutrition Services facility;
- Loads and unloads pallets of food, supplies, or milk;
- Check the accuracy of orders filled according to Transport Record;
- Prepare and maintain vehicle records and other audit-ready documents;
- Ensure documents used to produce the claim for reimbursement and invoices to clients (such as Transport Records, supply receipts, catered meal receipts, etc) are auditable and accurate;
- Clean truck daily inside and out;
- Maintain weekly contact with the Food Service Manager for vehicle maintenance;
- May make routine or emergency repairs, maintenance, or adjustments on truck when necessary;
- Conduct daily vehicle pre-trip inspection;
- Ensure truck is ready and safe to drive before departing on delivery route;
- Deliver truck to repair shop as needed;
- Perform related duties as assigned;
Applications may be obtained at 5660 Copley Drive, San Diego, 92111; 841 S. 41st Street, San Diego 92113; or on the Agency website at www.neighborhoodhouse.org. Applications may be mailed or delivered to the Human Resources Department at 5660 Copley Drive, San Diego, CA 92111 or scanned/emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications must be fully completed (per instructions), signed, and dated when submitted. Any applicable supplemental application questions and/ or certifications must be attached to the application at the time the application is submitted. All statements on the application will be subject to verification and investigation prior to employment. In order for your education or certification(s) to be considered, you must attach a copy of your official degree transcripts or diploma or foreign equivalency report and/ or certification to your application. Please only submit the documents required.
NOTE: Only those candidates being considered will be contacted for an interview and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with qualified disabilities to perform the essential functions of job on a case by case basis.
Application and Supplemental Questionnaire must be fully completed (per instructions), signed and dated when submitted. The Questionnaire can be found at the end of the job announcement pdf. If you have CD/ECE units, submit copy of official transcripts with your application to receive consideration. Applications and job announcements may be obtained at the above address; 841 South 41 st Street, San Diego, CA 92113; or you may refer to www.neighborhoodhouse.org. NOTE: 1 - Only properly completed and submitted applications will be considered. Notifications will not be sent for applications that do not meet submission requirements. 2 - Applications of candidates who do not meet the stated position requirements will not be considered. Only those considered for interview will be contacted.