Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Grocery Clerk - Store # 28 PT
at Northgate Markets
Our first store opened on January 2nd, 1980 in Anaheim CA and since then we have grown to 40 stores in three counties: Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego. We offer our customers a full service supermarket with a large meat department, bakery, tortilleria and prepared foods in addition to a sizeable section of domestic and imported Latin American grocery goods to provide a Mexican homeland experience. We are always looking for great people to join as a member of the Northgate Family. We look for enthusiastic people with the potential and desire to grow with us. We strive to create a great work environment that is positive and fun; where people have meaningful work, where individuals have a sense of belonging and feel appreciated, valued and secure. If you are passionate about food, are customer focused, team oriented, and want to be a part of our family, we invite you to apply! We offer opportunities for growth, 10% discount for you and one other family member in your household for most purchases made at Northgate and flexible schedules. To learn more, please visit www.northgatemarkets.com.
JOB SUMMARY: To maintain stocking and rotation of merchandise in the grocery area and to perform other functions as required; to receive, in an efficient manner within company policy, and to ensure the position contributes to the total best interests of the store.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The essential duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist in receiving and unloading of merchandise; check and verify grocery receiving to ensure that items listed on vendor invoices are all delivered; check products for quality, count, and condition.
- Open cartons and price items accurately; keep grocery manager informed of pricing problem areas or discrepancies; ensure that all items are in proper place and proper price label/tag is under the item.
- Handle damaged and spoiled products and assist in controlling the level of damaged goods.
- Keep refrigerated coolers, store shelves and other displays fully stocked and faced at all times according to tag allocation or department standards; assist in building store displays for maximum sales and turnover; display merchandise in a neat and colorful manner.
- Keep perishable merchandise rotated in accordance with store policy and product code dates and pull all out-of-code merchandise.
- Maintain general housekeeping and sanitation standards in compliance with store policy and state and local health regulations on a regular, ongoing basis.
- Use and maintain equipment in good working order including all safeguards and safety devices or mechanisms; immediately advise department manager of any maintenance or equipment problems.
- Assist in training personnel when assigned.
- Greet all customers and provide them with prompt and courteous service or assistance.
- Observe security standards by staying alert and being aware of customer actions and behavior; report to manager or security any abnormal behavior.
- Notify store manager of personnel situations or policy violations affecting store operating performance or of situations requiring disciplinary action or that may potentially require such action.
- Assist customers in retrieving items from inaccessible areas or in obtaining products that are either located in warehouses or that they may have difficulty in handling.
- Respond promptly to emergencies and potential safety hazards such as spills/ broken glass or plastic containers that contain liquid products; never leave the scene until help arrives.
- Perform any other work-related duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS AND CONDITIONS:
- High school education preferred.
- If forklift operator must have fork lift certification.
- Ability to hear, speak and understand the spoken word in order to respond promptly to pages for assistance, to accommodate verbal requests from customers for information or assistance, to answer telephones, and to be able to communicate effectively with others.
- Ability to read, write, analyze, interpret and understand the Spoken language, English and Spanish, with sufficient proficiency in order to read and understand company handbooks, policies and procedures and other written job-related documents.
- Be able to pass a standard drug test and qualify as being "drug-free" under the legal and medical guidelines permitted by the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988.
Physical Demands and Work Conditions
The physical demands and work conditions described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Some requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with disabilities:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, and use the hands to handle, finger, or feel objects, tools or controls.
- The employee must occasionally exert or lift up to 55 pounds carrying boxes of records and forms and frequently exert or lift moderate amounts of weight.
- The employee must be able to climb a ladder to retrieve inaccessible items for customers located above freezer cases, stockrooms and other storage areas; must be able to sweep and mop floors, dust and face shelves, and lift and carry out trash containers to be emptied in an outside bin.
- The employee must have sufficient physical mobility or agility to be able to respond quickly to fire or other emergencies such as cleanup requests (due to accidental spills or breakage of containers having liquid contents), shoplifting and other security assistance requests, customer accidents, etc.
- The employee must be able to stock coolers and shelves and endure working under temperature extremes (as low as 20 ®F) in refrigerated storage areas up to 20 minutes at a time.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER NOTICE
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors, and the requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. The Employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and to require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business or the work environment change.
Northgate Markets is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Your Right to Work – In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Northgate Markets will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the California Fair Employment and Housing Act (Ban the Box Law).