Northrop Grumman Corporation
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Mgr Electronics Engineering 3
at Northrop Grumman Corporation
At Northrop Grumman we develop cutting-edge technology that preserves freedom and advances human discovery. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We continue to innovate with developments from launching the first commercial flight to space, to discovering the early beginnings of the universe. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
No matter the assignment, Northrop Grumman is committed to being a leader in Cyber, Logistics and Modernization, Autonomous Systems, C4ISR, and Strike. For us, it's about more than just performing. It means realizing the values that define us: responsibility, trust, integrity and protecting freedom worldwide. These values inspire and unite our people- who make everything we do possible.
Some of the world's most technically advanced products are manufactured by employees, who work within Northrop Grumman Missions Systems, a leading provider of sensor systems for a variety of global security applications, including situational awareness and self-protection.
Northrop Grumman manufacturing plants are highly-automated, cutting-edge centers of excellence where employees leverage the latest technology, including the strategic use of automation, 3-D printing and robotics. There are a myriad of job functions associated, either directly or indirectly, with the manufacture of our products that range from machinists, engineers, operation program managers, and quality inspectors.
Our mission is to deliver differentiated value to our programs, by manufacturing products with the highest possible quality at the most affordable rate. Search our current job openings and join us to be at the front line of innovation.
What You'll get to Do:
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems is seeking a Senior Manager who will lead the Product Design, Verification (PD&V), and Parts, Materials, and Processes (PM&P) functions within Mission Systems in San Diego. The successful candidate will report directly to the San Diego Hardware Engineering Manager.
In this role, the Manager will lead a large organization (as many as 100 full time employees) across multiple campuses consisting of front-line Managers, Mechanical/Electromechanical/Reliability/Material and Process/Electrical Engineers of all technical grade levels, IPT Leads, and various Subject Matter Experts.
The Manager will be accountable for creating a world-class Hardware Engineering organization with emphasis on Quality and Continuous Improvement, including but not limited to:
• Cultivate an inclusive and engaging workplace. Ensure employees' work life balance is appropriate.
• Workforce: maintain staff adequate to execute to program plans, as well as for strategic growth. Plan assignments and fill program needs to ensure success but which also offer growth to the individuals performing the work.
• Performance management: on an ongoing basis, engage with staff to identify, growth opportunities, deficiencies, appropriate training, etc. Execute to the Enterprise review cycle. Manage compensation and career progression within budget.
• Create and maintain forward-looking processes which align to strategic goals.
• Enforce processes and ensure they are applied appropriately by program execution teams, and that deviations are documented and agreed upon in a Development Plan.
• Oversee the establishment and execution of PD&V and PM&P lifecycle and work products to ensure proper engineering and documentation forms the basis of our technical assets.
• Be responsible for collecting required material, executing, and closing technical reviews (e.g., Internal Critical Design Reviews (iCDR)).
• Interface with Program Capture teams to ensure efficacy of proposed schedules and budgets.
Additionally, this role is targeted as approximately 20% managerial, and 80% technical. The successful candidate will also be expected to perform any or all of the following:
• Technical program leadership.
• Control Account Management (EVMS).
• Scheduling and program execution team planning.
• Proposal contributions, including bases of estimate in accordance with sector requirements.
• Program Management and Change Control Board participation.
• Hardware engineering, e.g., mechanical design, analysis, etc.
You'll Bring These Qualifications
• Bachelor's of Science degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, Materials, or other related Engineering discipline, with 10 years professional experience.
• 3 or more years of personnel leadership, including supervising managers and leading technical teams.
• Experienced in the DoD Directive 5000 defense acquisition process and engineering lifecycle, and the application of rigorous engineering processes to develop and deliver high-quality engineered hardware for airborne and ground mobile applications.
• Experience with engineering staffing, engineering metrics, continuous process improvement, technical training plan development, and engineering tools management.
• Excellent communication skills, emotional intelligence, composed in high-visibility, stressing situations.
• Demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to work effectively in a team environment.
• Ability to concisely convey relevant technical information to Executive leadership.
• Working knowledge of ISO9001 and AS9100 Quality Management Systems.
• Working knowledge of Earned Value Management.
• Active Secret clearance with eligibility for Top Secret/SCI.
These Qualifications Would be Nice to Have:
• Master of Science in Mechanical, Aerospace, or Materials Engineering
• 15 or more years of professional experience.
• 5 or more years of personnel leadership, including supervising managers.
• 5 or more years of technical program leadership.
• 2 or more years EVM Control Account Management experience; familiarity with Northrop Grumman System Description.
• SAP or Top Secret/SCI clearances.
• Graduate of recognized professional leadership training program (e.g., Harvard Business School, UCSD, UCLA).
What We Can Offer You:
Northrop Grumman provides a comprehensive benefits package and a work environment that encourages your growth and supports the mutual success of our people and our company. Northrop Grumman benefits give you the flexibility and control to choose the benefits that make the most sense for you and your family. Your package will include the following:
· Health Plan
· Savings Plan
· Paid Time Off
· Additional benefits
o Education Assistance
o Training and Development
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit