Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Bioinformatics Software Engineer (Contract)
at Pfenex Inc
- 08-Jul-2019 (PST)
- San Diego, CA, USA
Pfenex is a clinical-stage development and licensing biotechnology company focused on leveraging its Pfenex Expression Technology to improve protein therapies for unmet patient needs. Using the patented Pfenex Expression Technology platform, the Company has created an advanced pipeline of therapeutic equivalents, vaccines, biologics and biosimilars.
Pfenex is looking to bring on a talented Bioinformatics Software Engineer to join the team. In this role, the candidate will direct development of database architecture and implement both custom and 3rd party bioinformatics solutions for querying biological data sets. The candidate will also help to successfully migrate legacy data sets into improved systems and participate in data set management reviews. The candidate should feel at home working in a high paced and agile environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Improve back-end database infrastructure to streamline Omics (e.g. genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics) data sharing and real-time analysis
- Work closely with lead scientists and bioinformaticians to understand needs for biological data set capture, processing and analysis at Pfenex
- Implement APIs and web interfaces for Omics data interpretation, strain and plasmid information management
- Identify opportunities and implement solutions to improve analysis workflow efficiency
- Conduct testing and validation to demonstrate accuracy of results
- Assist with roll out, monitoring and troubleshooting deployed applications
JOB SKILLS, ABILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
- BS, MS in bioinformatics, computer science or related field and 3 years of relevant experience
- Expertise in developing and supporting Omics data processing and analysis pipeline
- Proficiency in programming languages such as C/C++/Java, Perl, Python, R and Bash
- Experience in database relational development such as Postgres, MySQL, or similar
- Experience with Unix/Linux HPC computing environment
- Strong analytical problem solver
- Must be proficient in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- The employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk; reach with hands and arms, use hands to finger, handle or feel
- The employee is required to regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)
- No agencies or phone calls please
- Pfenex celebrates the diversity of life and welcomes all individuals to apply
- Must be legally authorized to work in the US without sponsorship