San Diego Blood Bank
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Administrative Assistant III
at San Diego Blood Bank
- 12-Aug-2019 to 11-Oct-2019 (PST)
- San Diego, CA, USA
- Full Time
Under general supervision performs complex administrative and office support activities for the department assigned to.This position relieves the management of moderately complex administrative tasks and projects by identifying and anticipating administrative support and expectations and requirements. This position requires the ability to build rapport with other staff members, to effectively fulfill assigned projects and tasks, to evaluate administrative demands and identify process improvement opportunities. This position will take a lead role in the assessment and execution of administrative projects for an assigned department and must be able to motivate and guide other administrative staff members to ensure the successful completion of collaborative tasks. This position is responsible for understanding the specific needs of the management team within the assigned department. This position may also assist in reception coverage relief by delivering prompt and reliable support according to the Receptionist/Administrative Assistant I position description and may provide reception coverage for morning and afternoon breaks and lunch periods. Extensive software skills are required, as well as internet research abilities and strong communication skills. This position will communicate and interact effectively with other administrative peers, management, guests, hospitals, vendors, potential donors, and contacts at all levels of the organization.
- Works on moderately complex assignments/projects, which may require independent judgment and a high degree of initiative to resolve issues. Understands implications of work and makes recommendations for new procedures.
- Works independently; strong initiative to complete tasks with little supervision.
- Problem solves and provides creative solutions to unexpected situations.
- Understands and anticipates the business related preferences and manages travel coordination, calendaring/scheduling, meeting coordination and catering and dietary restrictions for the assigned department management.
- Determines methods and procedures for new assignments.
- Possesses the analytical ability required in order to gather and summarize data for reports, find solutions to various administrative problems, and prioritize work.
- Fosters a team atmosphere among staff, both for the assigned department as well as the Administrative Services team.
- Takes initiative to research products and services and understand the department operations and resources.
- Meets team deadlines and responsibilities, listens to others and values opinions, helps team leaders to meet goals, welcomes newcomers and promotes a positive team atmosphere.
- Serves as an exemplary model to other team members by dealing with others in a straightforward and honest manner, holds self accountable for actions, maintains confidentiality, and supports company values.
- Provides mentorship and on-going guidance to other administrative staff.
- Adapts to change, is open to new ideas, takes on new responsibilities, handles pressure, and adjusts plans to meet changing needs.
- Pays close attention to detail and accuracy, is committed to excellence, looks for improvements continuously, owns/acts on quality problems.
- Handles confidential information and exercises discretion.
- Adapts to new technology, learns new programs quickly, and uses computers to improve productivity.
- Maintains a professional demeanor.
- Handles multiple projects and priorities.
- Highly motivated; energetic and proactive.
- Responds to phone calls and emails within 24 hours.
- Manages general office inventory.
- Assist with expense report processing.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills, creates accurate and punctual reports, shares information and ideas with others, has good listening skills; able to speak fluent English.
- Meets commitments, sets personal standards, and meets attendance/punctuality requirements.
- Expedites approved on and off-site business related errands.
- Prepares correspondence, spreadsheets, organizational charts, presentations, or other documents as requested.
- Assist hiring managers and human resources with interview coordination.
- Provides relief/back-up reception duties.
- Provides back-up coverage and support in absence of other Administrative Assistants.
- Maintains a current Administrative Workbook, outlining department responsibilities, providing a resource tool for those that may need to cover or serve as a backup during an absence, to be updated on a quarterly or more frequent basis.
- Updates goals and pending issues for review with the Administrative Services Manager on a regular basis.
- Participates in training and mentoring of newly hired administrative staff and ensures that they have acquired the necessary knowledge and are provided with the tools needed to fulfill their role within the company.
- Assist and/or lead in event coordination/setting up events and team building activities.
- Participates in administrative committees and works together in brainstorming new ways of improving skills, procedures and the overall efficiency and performance of the administrative team.
- Performs other related tasks and duties as directed.
- Normal office environment.
- Frequent exposure to outdoor environment and non-company facilities.
- May be exposed to blood or bodily fluids that may be capable of transmitting diseases.
- Normal blood bank environment with biohazard precautions.
- May be called on to work or attend meetings at times other than routinely scheduled hours.
- Must be able to work on a computer 4-8 hours per day.
- Must be able to communicate clearly.
- May be required to lift up to 40 pounds.
- Normal office equipment (examples: telephone, computer, cell phone, copier, fax).
- Label machine, postage meter machine.
- May be required to use vehicle to drive to post office.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- MS Office - Excel, Power Point, Word, Outlook (advanced level)
- Type 30+ wpm
- Office phone system - Voicemail, call transfer, call hold, conference call, etc.
- Capable to lead and work well within all levels of the organization.
- Must interact at all times in a professional manner.
- Advanced knowledge of standards and regulations that apply to blood bank.
- Must be detail oriented, well organized, self-motivated and capable of independent work.
- Must be able to direct workflow and perform advanced troubleshooting of technical and/or mechanical problems.
- Must maintain a high level of conflict resolution skills.
- Experience with event coordination.
Education: Associates Degree or equivalent preferred.
Experience: Four or more years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certifications/Licenses: None required.
- Interpersonal skills to establish and maintain professional relationships.
- Decision making skills. Uses authority appropriately in making sound judgments in a timely manner.
- Professional communication both written and oral, which is clear and precise.
- Must be detail oriented, well organized and display good time management skills.
- Self-motivated and capable of independent work with decision making skills.
- Flexibility and ability to manage change.
- Integrity and discretion - ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to perform under pressure and work under stressful situations.
- Promotes teamwork approach to tasks and maintain positive working relationships with administrative team members and the staff.
- Teaching and training abilities.
The San Diego Blood Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer.