San Diego State University Research Foundation
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Data Science for Ocean of Things (DARPA) - (53-8008)
at San Diego State University Research Foundation
- Req No.
- Dept/Proj Name
- Close Date
This Statement of Work covers the need for student services to provide technical and/or analytical support in the fields of Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Ocean Engineering, or Oceanography for the Defense Advanced Research Program Agency (DARPA) Ocean of Things (OoT) project. The purpose for this project is to support the research, design, and implementation of storage and analysis of data collected by oceanographic floats.
DARPA’s OoT project will process the information that has been received in the cloud-based data center which particularly focuses on converting raw field measurements into oceanographic/environmental/meteorological products in these fields. (For example: convert recordings from temperature sensors into an interpolated, time series grid.) It is also planned for importing/formatting products from sources external to the DARPA project to use as a ground truth comparison to the field-collected data. Data types can include: Sea Surface Temperature (SST), salinity, solar irradiance, wave/swell height/periodicity (derived from IMU/accelerometer), barometric pressure, precipitation, wind speed/direction, surface current measurements.
The contractor shall assist the work sponsor in:
- Developing, testing and documenting computer software, likely in the Python language, for the purposes of the machine learning research described above.
- Performing data conversion, as necessary, to facilitate experimentation with recorded data. This will include using well-known existing products from the oceanographic community as templates. These existing products can primarily be obtained online from government and academic websites.
- Performing data import/conversion of well-known existing products from the oceanographic community to the cloud-based data center for the purposes of comparing/calibrating against the DARPA OoT data.
- Generating statistical summaries and graphs of incoming data, primarily to validate incoming data.
- Assisting with the evaluation of experiments testing various machine learning models, numerical, and statistical techniques upon the OoT data.
- Monthly Status Reports and Bi-Weekly Time Reports shall be in accordance with basic contract CDRL.
Graduate Student 1: Must possess a Bachelor's degree in the required discipline and be enrolled in a Master's degree program. Must be able to accomplish a minimum of 50% of the task without supervision.
Due to the regulations established by the Department of Defense, only US Citizens may qualify.
This is a student position and is limited to working 20 hours per week.
This position will remain open until filled.
San Diego State University Research Foundation is an EEO/AA/Disability/Vets Employer.