San Diego State University Research Foundation
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Undergraduate Assistant (Junior / Senior Level) - Experimental Design (72-8001)
at San Diego State University Research Foundation
- Req No.
- Dept/Proj Name
- Close Date
This Statement of Work covers the need for analytical and technical support services from undergraduate students in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, and/or Statistics majors at educational intuitions in support of scientific research and development projects at Naval Information Warfare Center, Pacific (NIWC Pacific). The purpose of this task is to conduct experimental design in support of NIWC Pacific’s science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) portfolio.
Experimental design and engineering is needed to refine STEM models which will be used as tools for communicating scientific findings.
- Reviewing, analyzing and documenting specific operational procedures, and/or performing feasibility studies with regards to executing lab experiments that necessitate inquiry based learning. This includes, assembling scientific apparatus – e.g. vacuum chambers, oscillators, various resonance apparatus, Arduinos, Raspberry Pi, and building robots
- Designing, exercising and/or testing models utilizing stimulation, simulation, emulation, numerical and statistical analyses techniques
- Performing data conversion and coding, and/or data analysis and data reduction; visualizing data analysis into meaningful communication tools
- Collecting, developing, analyzing, and scoring performance data; developing interview and questionnaire forms
- Performing literature searches and reviews; compiling and cataloging background material; and/or preparing summaries and bibliographies. Research studies involving inclusion of standards and math content within activities and demonstrations
- Updating scientific experimental data; reporting experimental descriptions and outcomes so others could repeat the process; and training others to perform similar activities
(2) Undergraduate Student 2: Must have course work in the discipline requested on the task order Statement of Work. The student must be at the Junior or Senior level and have experience in 50% of the task requirements and be able to accomplish 50% of the work independently.
- Majoring in: Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, and/or Statistics
Required Course Work:
- Engineering, science courses or equivalent which would provide student with basic foundation in their understanding of: resonance, waves, atmospheric pressure, sound, coefficient of restitution, electricity and magnetism, programming, information assurance, and/or cyber security
Additional Qualifications Desired:
- Physics equipment such as: vacuum chambers, various resonance apparatus
- Experimental design
- Independently putting lab material together
- Programming Arduinos and/or Raspberry Pis
- Software such as MATLAB
- Presenting STEM experiments to communicate scientific findings
- Understanding of basic physics concepts (vibration, mechanics, light).
This is a student position and is limited to working 20 hours per week
This position will remain open until filled
San Diego State University Research Foundation is an EEO/AA/Disability/Vets Employer