San Diego State University Research Foundation
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Web and Application Developer
at San Diego State University Research Foundation
- Req No.
- Information Technology
- Full-Time Contract
- USD $33.46/hr - $37.50/hr, DOE
- Dept/Proj Name
- SDSU - HealthLINK
This position is full-time, 40-hours per week with typical office hours between 8:00am to 5:00pm; Monday - Friday. We take your dedication to our project seriously, and provide benefits to help you balance your work life and your personal life. You are eligible to earn up to approximately 10 days of vacation per year plus generous holiday time off; we offer top-of-the-line medical insurance, dental plans, life insurance, vision and a generous retirement benefit.
San Diego State University's HealthLINK Center for Transdisciplinary Health Disparities Research (SDSU HealthLINK Center) is a multi-college effort to support minority health and health disparities research. With over 60 individuals on the team and growing, the SDSU HealthLINK Center consists of multi-disciplinary faculty, administrative and technical staff, students, volunteers, and partnered organizations. The SDSU HealthLINK Center is committed to the vision of inspiring collaborative and transformational research that promotes health and well-being for everyone.
This position supports SDSU HealthLINK Center by furthering the enhancement of research infrastructure and services at SDSU and its partnered organizations. The Research Infrastructure Core (RIC), in which this position is based, offers a wide range of research services, housing expertise in multiple research methods and establishing an IT infrastructure to support varied research needs and data analytics applications across the university to enhance health disparities research.
The Web and Application Developer is responsible for configuring and administering the Center’s website(s) and other web applications to support the Health Data Analytic Portal and Health Science Knowledge Repository, applying a user-centered design process with SDSU researchers and Center partners to ensure the usability and accessibility of these web-based resources.
This person will work closely with SDSU HealthLINK Center Co-Investigator, Dr. Ming Tsou, as well as SDSU HealthLINK Center Co-Directors, Drs. Kristen Wells and Guadalupe (Suchi) Ayala. The incumbent will also work under the general supervision of the Center Research Manager. The Center’s web applications will include distinct interfaces for the SDSU community, Community Engagement Core (CEC) partners, and the general public to access information such as: investigator profiles; profiles of SDSU’s minority health and health disparities research; archives of the Center’s trainings, webinars, and research resources, such as protocols and technical reports; recharge service price lists and request forms (e.g., for focus group development, data analysis, data storage, etc.); and many others.
The Web and Application Developer is responsible for but not limited to:
Web and Application Development duties 90%
• Creation, deployment, and management of Center Websites and related Web Applications (Portals).
• Configuration and administration of HUBzero, GABBs, and other software applications required for establishing and maintaining the Centers data analytic infrastructure and for eHealth/mHealth applications as part of the Intervention Methods Group. Tasks will include but are not limited to:
• User account management
• Content management
• Customizations to meet Center and research needs
• Creation of tutorials and training materials for HUBzero, GABBs, and other software applications
• Customization of HUBzero metadata functions to match the needs of public health data
• Customization of GABBs data visualization and mapping functions for health disparities research
• Customization of user profile functions for researcher profiles and web page integration; and
• Integration of HUBzero and other web applications into the SDSU HealthLINK Center website (WordPress)
• Development, testing, deployment, maintenance, and securing of web applications that will integrate various research projects and interact with highly sensitive/confidential data resources.
• Development and optimization of databases that will support research projects’ applications and needs.
• Testing, evaluation, implementation, and compliance with the usability and accessibility of SDSU HealthLINK Center portals and websites.
• Creation and maintenance of web-based request forms/workflows for recharge services.
• Creation and maintenance of technical documents for web applications.
• Upgrade and installation of additional plug-ins or security patches for WordPress.
• Design, modification, creation, and/or collection of related images or graphs for the website content.
• Graphic design tasks as needed.
• Collaboration with researchers to address application needs of Center-supported research activities, including eHealth/mHealth applications.
• Collaboration with the Server and Database Administrator and RIC Coordinators as needed.
Other duties as assigned 10%
• Assist in the development and implementation of recharge services related to the Center’s portals.
• Contribute to the annual progress report and participate in other Center evaluation activities as required.
• Supervise students and/or volunteer interns assisting with web and application development tasks as needed.
Knowledge & Abilities:
- Ability to work with database platforms such as MySQL, MS SQL Server, MongoDB, PostgreSQL
- Knowledge of Model-View-Controller (MVC) design pattern
- Knowledge of Object-Oriented Programming
- Knowledge of Leaflet, R, R-shining and other open source programming tools
- Knowledge of WordPress and other web content management systems
- Knowledge of Accessibility Compliance (508 Compliance)
- Ability to use Adobe Creative Cloud Suite of tools
- Ability to use GIT and other Code Versioning Systems
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including ability to adapt messages for both technical and non-technical audiences
- Skilled in record keeping and quality control
- Ability to work variable hours, as necessary, including nights and weekends for required maintenance and testing
- Demonstrate a high level of cross-cultural sensitivity
Minimum Experience & Education:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in computer science or business, or equivalent training and applied experience
- Intermediate knowledge of assigned computer operating systems, systems analysis, and systems-level programming.
- Two years of related experience (one year of experience preferably in the IS Operating Analyst – I position)
Preferred Experience & Education:
- 2+ years of website development and maintenance, following a user-centered design approach
- 2+ years of web administration experiences in Windows and Linux servers
- Experience with SQL and database development
- Comprehensive knowledge of handling and processing available data (including but not limited to census data, electronic health record data, social media data)
- Experience with HIPAA Compliance and Policies
- Experiences developing web-based socio-economic data analytics tools
- Experience developing web-based visualization and mapping tools
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- Experience in an educational or research business environment
- Bilingual in English/Spanish – speaking, reading, writing
This position is open until filled
San Diego State University Research Foundation is an EEO/AA/Disability/Vets Employer
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with SDSU Research Foundation