Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Part Time Senior Project Chemist
- 3838 Camino Del Rio North
- San Diego
- Job ID
As lead chemist, perform unsupervised and independent evaluation of chemical analyses on liquids and solids performed by contract laboratories. Analytical tests include but are not limited to organics, inorganics and metals using a wide variety of processes and instrumentation. Make recommendations for the proper method of isolation or neutralization based on a site’s chemical characteristics. Will have interaction with clients and may be expected to assist and/or sell company products and/or services. The lead chemist is viewed as capable, independent contributor with broad competency in the environmental discipline.
The lead chemist will review laboratory data and data-validation results, evaluate quality control, identify laboratory requirements, and provide laboratory oversight and coordination. Prepare statements of work for laboratory contracting and provide in-house recommendations based on technical evaluation of bids. Provide technical support to project managers working on US government contracts requiring monitoring or treatment system operation at various sites, primarily in the Puget Sound area and Alaska. Assist project managers in managing laboratory performance and coordinate all chemistry deliverables to clients. This part-time on-call position will be located in San Diego, California.
- Function as the lead chemist on projects and task orders assisting the project manager through the coordination of all chemistry-related aspects of the project;
- Assist in assessment of chemistry requirements and preparation of proposals in response to client RFPs;
- Develop Sampling and Analysis Plans and Quality Assurance Plans, including UFP SAPs, to guide sampling, analyzing, and reporting concentrations of various contaminants and/or geochemical indicators in different media (including air, groundwater, surface water, the marine environment, sediments, and soil);
- Manage the laboratory following submittal of samples to assure adherence to the project schedule, analytical procedures, and reporting;
- Provide oversight of chemistry deliverables from laboratories, including identification of data or reporting problems and coordinating with the laboratory for resolution of chemistry issues;
- Perform data validation or review data validation performed by a third party;
- Assist in the development and production of technical documents, as needed, particularly in the assessment and description of analytical data quality;
- Prepare electronic deliverables required by clients, including electronic data deliverables to US DoD databases (NIRIS and GeoTracker) and USACE databases (SEDD), and others as required;
- Support SRS marketing and proposal preparation as necessary;
- Develop, implement, and maintain chemistry data managements system.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Preference given for experience with government contract requirements and standard operating procedures.
- Working knowledge of: Microsoft Office Suite
Training and Education:
- B.S. in Chemistry and fifteen (15) years’ experience.
Position is subject to satisfactory completion of a background check, and reference check. A valid driver’s license is also required for this position.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to walk, use hands to finger, handle objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; bending or crouching; talk or hear. The employee must be able to lift / carry and / or move up to 20 pounds safely. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work Environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is not exposed to weather conditions or other elements prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal.
- EOE M/F/D/V/SO