Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Assistant Guest Services Manager
at Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa
LocationThe Westin/Sheraton Carlsbad Resort
Job TitleAssistant Guest Services Manager
Area of InterestFront Office/Guest Services
Oversee the daily operations of the Guest Services Departments (Bell/Valet, Transportation, Activities) and assist Front Office. Ensure that staff meets hotel standards for maximum guest satisfaction. Act as the main contact for guests and other hotel departments in the absence of the Front Office Manager.
- Ensure Bell / Valet is following the WELCOME process, have proper understanding of Marriott BONVOY membership, use of the 10/5 rule, check- out process is efficient, and telephone prop. Observe front desk agents and ensure that established procedures are completed in accordance with policy and procedure, (i.e. proper public relations techniques are utilized, guests are handled both courteously and professionally. Proper identification, input of personal information, and credit are established and all posting, rate schedules, packages, cash transactions, account settlements and deposits are handled correctly).
- Greet all arriving and departing guests. Maintain standards of excellence in the escorting of guests to and from their rooms and assist with luggage. Inform guests of all accommodation features, property amenities, and promote hotel outlets. Introduce Starwood Preferred Guest Program to guests upon arrival and recognize club members. Maintain accurate logs. Store guest baggage upon request and assist with the loading and unloading of baggage into and out of automobiles. Summon taxis upon request.
- Manage and assist if needed with the transportation services provided by the property including monitoring safety of proper care of the vehicles, proper training, daily inspections and reporting of issues, vehicle maintenance, proper certifications for drivers as well as possessing a class B drivers license.
- Supervise some or all of the following: valet parking attendants, bell attendants, drivers, Activities Associates and including, but not limited to, scheduling, payroll, and cash drawers. Responsible for addressing insurance issues with respect to guest loss.
- Hold Pre-shift meetings with associates and make them aware of daily activities, arriving VIP's, Group/Conferences in house, special requests, scheduled shuttles. Assign tasks for the day including the maintenance and cleanliness of Valet Stand, Driveway and surrounding areas, Bell closet, Bell cart, Luggage Cart, Front Drive, and Lobby windows. Setup and refreshing of Lobby water and maintain lobby in its cleanliness and organization. Inspect employees' uniforms, operational departmental areas for cleanliness and organization, correcting as necessary.
- Conduct daily audits of Assistants and staff for perfect check in/out, prompt and friendly greetings of all guests. Complete weekly schedules by Friday (no later than Saturday) according to 10 day, forecasts, corporate shuttles, and other special requests. Complete daily paperwork. Keep Bell and Valet Departments labor at or under what was budgeted.
- Maintain stocks of supplies needed for department and order appropriately always keeping within budgeted amounts. Propose new and inventive ways to exceed guest expectations and elevate levels of service in department. Schedule all meetings and keep staff informed, accountable, and motivated.
- Ensure that their duties are completed in accordance with established policy and procedure, i.e., proper public relations techniques are utilized, calls are handled both courteously and professionally stating first name, calls are answered in a timely manner and the proper greetings are used, messages and faxes are handled correctly and efficiently, guest complaints and problems are handled in a courteous and professional manner, and ensure follow through, Guest and Associate requests are input into GPX, follow up calls are made to guest and time of tasks completed.
- Oversee the completion of training for the departments (Bell / Valet, Transportation and Activities Attendant). Direct and assist staff in organizing breaks, ensuring that all work is completed efficiently and according to schedule. Monitor all checklists making sure they are being completed correctly and in a timely fashion.
- Ensure all necessary reports, edited time punches, Daily Department Associate Audits, and forms are completed daily. Track and log all upgrades, call-offs, and guest complaints. Assist in new-hire and termination process. Pre- screen Guest Services applicants, complete reference checks, new hire paperwork, and all associate paperwork for payroll processing. Complete guest accounting with accuracy and ensure skip accounts are completed in a timely manner. Review that cancelation and no-show fees are being completed by night audit. Assist with reviewing department invoices and departmental monthly budget.
- Train and hold teams accountable for service and all policies and procedures in each department.
- The planning of all activities.
- If any new activities are put into place that will come at a cost to our guests, the activities lead must monitor and implement fair prices and an SOP for charging the guest.
- 27. Adhere to hotel policies and hold activity team responsible for all policies outlined in SOPs and the employee handbook.
- Oversee the scheduling of Bell / Valet, Transportation, and activities associates, including approving and denying vacation requests.
- To ensure that there is daily communication with the Guest Services staff.
- The production of monthly programs and schedules for the activities from the Friday that begins the Memorial Day Weekend through the Monday which ends the Labor Day Weekend.
- To ensure that our activities are safe, focusing on children ages 3 -- 10, and properly supervised.
- Activities should be innovative and non-repetitive for a minimal period of three days.
- To ensure any equipment utilized is ordered timely, accounted for, and properly maintained. Also to ensure product is ready and available for every child and all activities.
- To ensure that all activities are set one thirty minutes prior to the scheduled activities start time.
- To greet all guests with warmth and energy. To assist children and their parents with the activity to maximize their experience.
- To tear down and clean all areas utilized for activities.
- Assist in the hiring and coaching of activities associates.
- Work together with the MarBrisa activities coordinator to provide the maximum value to our guests.
- Tack successes and failures of activity programs by monitoring the number of children who participate and their excitement during the activity.
- Send out weekly communication that includes the number of children who partook in the daily activity.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
- Must be able to read and write to facilitate the communication process.
- Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Must possess basic computational ability.
- Must possess basic computer skills.
- Must be able to respond to guest requests and business volume quickly and efficiently.
- Must be able to respond to guest requests and business volume quickly and efficiently.
- Must be able to operate automatic and manual transmission vehicles.
- Must possess a valid driver's license and be approved by company insurance.
- Must possess or be willing to possess a Class B driver's license within 6 months of hire date.
- High school or equivalent education preferred.
- Minimum one year previous supervisory experience preferred. Bell Services experience required.
Licenses or Certificates
- Ability to obtain and/or maintain any government required licenses, certificates or permits.
- Must have valid Driver's License for a minimum of three years.
- Must have clean driving record.
- Must be TIPS certified
In order for a driver to be approved, the following criteria must be met:
- Maximum of 1 moving violation in the last three years in combination with one at fault
- Maximum of 2 moving violations in the last 3 years with no at fault accidents.
- Maximum of 2 at fault accidents in the last 3 years with no moving violations.
- No speeding over 80 miles per hour.
- All drivers must be licensed for at least 3 years.
II. Any driver with any of the following in the last 3 years is unacceptable:
- Conviction for an alcohol and/or drug related driving offense
- Refusal to submit to a Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) Test
- Failure to stop/report an accident and leaving the scene of an accident as defined by State
- Conviction for homicide, manslaughter, or assault arising out of the use of a vehicle
- Suspension, revocation, or administrative restriction of driver's license within the last three
- Conviction for reckless or careless driving
- Passing a stopped school bus
- Possession of a controlled substance
- Making a false accident report
- Three or more "Company Vehicle" physical damage claims in any twelve month period
- Speeding (10+MPH over posted speed limit)
- Conviction for attempting to elude a police officer.
III. As respects to Drivers under 25 years old, the following guidelines apply:
- No drivers under 21 years' old
- Drivers between the ages of 21 and 25 will be considered so long as:
- No driving of 15 passenger vans.
- Clean MVR
- Valid Driver's License in effect for at least 3 years.