Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Complex Director of Human Resources
at Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa
LocationThe Westin/Sheraton Carlsbad Resort
Job TitleComplex Director of Human Resources
Area of InterestHuman Resources
The Director of Human Resources is an integral member of the property executive committee. Contributes a high level of human resource knowledge and expertise for multiple properties. Accountable for talent acquisition, payroll and benefits administration, performance management and development for property employees, using technology efficiently, and coaching/developing others to help influence and execute business objectives in the most efficient manner. Utilizes a Human Resource Business Plan aligned with property and brand strategies to deliver HR services that enable business success.
- Provide assistance, guidance and counseling to the management staff and associates in order to maximize the quality and professionalism of the hotel staff by listening and interpreting concerns and objectives and seeking solutions.
- Direct and instruct the management staff in effective recruiting and interviewing techniques using methods such as verbal presentations and written directions to ensure the hiring and retention of qualified and efficient associates. Conduct interviews for all management positions. Insure all other pre-selection activities are completed, including drug testing, reference checks, background checks, etc. Ensure all new hires and existing associates possess proper employment eligibility verifications.
- Maintains employee files.
- Conducts employee orientation and monitors employee training and development programs. Ensure that associates are developed and utilized to their maximum potential by controlling the implementation, administration and monitoring of all training programs. Instruct training classes, analyze and review current and proposed methods, consult with and make recommendations to the management staff for improvement.
- Monitor the associate performance appraisal programs. Analyze evaluations to ensure appraisal comments are appropriate and verify goals are measurable and achievable.
- Ensure compliance with all Company policies and procedures and Federal, State and Local laws and regulations which pertain to Human Resources. Implement new procedures and communicate verbally and in writing any new requirements.
- Conducts surveys of compensation and employment trends in local marketplace. Control the administration of wages and benefits to ensure the accurate and equitable application of same, analyzing and applying information retrieved from moderately complex reports, manuals and/or computer systems.
- Administer associates relations programs and activities such as associate recognition and service award ceremonies, social functions and general hotel meetings to maintain a positive associate relations climate.
- Develops annual department budget and maintains human resources business plan.
- Monitors worker's compensation cost and participates in safety loss control.
- Assists management staff in the administration of personnel policies.
- Oversees time and attendance processing for the properties and administers benefits programs for hotel employees. Administers support procedures for timely distribution of paychecks.
- Supervises assigned employees including hiring, terminating, performance evaluations, training and development.
- Comply with attendance rules and be available to work on a regular basis.
- Perform any other job related duties as assigned.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Ability to deal effectively with all applicants and associates with tact and diplomacy, to diffuse anger and collect accurate information and resolve conflicts.
- Thorough knowledge of Human Resources practices and procedures as well as considerable knowledge of Federal, State and Local laws and regulations pertaining to Human Resources matters.
- Knowledge of hotel operations, including marketing plans, security and safety programs, personnel and labor relations, preparation of business plans, repairs, maintenance, budget forecasting, quality assurance programs, hospitality law, and long-range planning.
- Leadership skills to motivate and develop staff and to ensure accomplishment of goals.
- Able to set priorities, plan, organize and delegate.
- Basic mathematical skills in order to perform moderately complex calculations for salary and benefit administration and to forecast departmental expenses using a calculator and/or moderately complex computer system.
- Ability to prepare correspondence and meet deadlines.
- Ability to prepare office memorandum and correspondence as well as provide clear and meaningful instructions, guidance and counseling to all associates.
- Ability to observe associates in the work place, analyze operations and detect situations of concern.
- Ability to work effectively under time constraints and deadlines.
- Ability to stand, walk and sit and continuously perform essential job functions for an eight-plus hour shift with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills. Ability to adapt communication style to suit different audiences, such as effectively communicating with supervisors, coworkers, public etc.
Education & Experience
- 3+ Years of Human Resources Leadership Experience.
- High School Diploma Required. Bachelor's Degree preferred.
- Hotel experience required. Resort experience preferred.
- Brand experience preferred.