Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Sous Chef, 20Twenty
at Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa
LocationThe Westin/Sheraton Carlsbad Resort
Job TitleSous Chef, 20Twenty
Area of InterestFood & Beverage/Culinary
Assist and support the Chef de Cuisine, Executive Sous Chef and Executive Chef, oversee the culinary operations of the hotel's Restaurant Outlet(s), and train and supervise staff and monitor food quality.
- Supervise kitchen staff in the proper preparation of menu items, equipment and safety measures. Evaluate performance, give guidance and discipline as necessary to promote quality products.
- Visually inspect, select and use only the freshest fruits, vegetables, meats, fish, fowl and other food products of the highest standard in the preparation of all menu items. Read and employ math skills for following recipes.
- Check to see that all equipment in the kitchen is clean and in proper working condition and write work tickets for any equipment in need of repair.
- Set up station with predetermined mise en place required to service all banquet functions.
- Practice sanitation and safety daily to ensure the total customer satisfaction.
- Consult with Executive Chef on a daily basis as well as with other departments that are directly related to the Food & Beverage Department.
- Participate, support and make recommendations for ongoing resort programs with continuous improvement in networking.
- Follow all storage procedures when taking food out of walk-in and when returning food to walk-in.
- Maintain cleanliness of work area at all times. Keep walk-in, prep area and equipment up to Health Department and Resort standards at all time.
- Prepare all items on prep list following standard procedure or as otherwise told by supervisor. Maintain high quality at all times. Maintain/check cooking times and temperatures.
*New Associate Sign-On Bonus
This position is eligible for a New Associate Sign-On Bonus, with the potential to receive a total of $500 for new hires hired between the dates of February 1, 2019-May 1, 2019.
To be eligible for the New Hire Onboarding Incentive:
May not be an individual previously employed with Grand Pacific Resorts, The Westin Carlsbad, or Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa.
- The New Hire must be hired on or after February 1, 2019 and before May 1, 2019.Associates must remain in the position continuously for at least 90 days from the date of hire.
- Associate is considered "hired" after the successful completion of one full day of employment.
- Associates must be employed in a full time or part time eligible status by The Westin/Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa at time of payment and average a minimum of 30 hours per week.Meet performance expectationsThis Hiring Incentive replaces any previous Hiring Incentives, including the Culinary Incentive. The incentives offered herein are subject to change at any time, with or without notice
- Part Time eligible status includes working 30 hours or more within a workweek.
- Full Time status is working 40 or more hours in a week.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
- Must be able to read and write to facilitate the communication process.
- Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Must possess basic computer skills.
- Thorough knowledge of food products, standard recipes and proper preparation.
- Ability to analyze, forecast data, and make judgments to ensure proper payroll and production control.
- Ability to supervise large staff and accomplish goals on a timely basis.
- Ability to conduct meetings, menu briefings and maintain communication lines between line staff and Director, Food & Beverage.
Education & Experience
- Certified Cook level or higher.
- Must be at least 18 years of age or older.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- A minimum of three years' experience Line Cook experience required.
Licenses or Certificates
- Valid Food Handlers Card or the ability to obtain prior to hire
- Ability to obtain and/or maintain any government required licenses, certificates or permits