The Geo Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
TRANSITION COUNSELOR COC
at The Geo Group
Facility: Centinela State Prison
Compensation Base: $23.00 per hour
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position provides participants with the tools and knowledge to prepare for reentry into the community. It provides individual and group counseling in self-esteem, problem solving, relationships, and other related issue; assists participants in securing direct communication with substance abuse, educational, employment and other community social resources that can assist in successful reintegration into society.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides information on services provided at Day Reporting Centers, Parolee Service Centers, outpatient and residential treatment programs, and any additional transitional services developed by state or other counties.
- Assists participants in completing the appropriate forms regarding the transitional care phase of the program services.
- Works in cooperation with the other contract staff, parole staff, continuing care service providers, county probation, and the participant for the development of the Community Service Plan and Discharge Plan;
- Provides general classroom guidance in the areas of career planning, social adjustment, personal management, and general life/skills knowledge.
- Communicates with participants regarding the reality of their pre-release activities and plans, defining terminology and identifying community resources.
- Conducts a periodic review of curriculum and resources available to enhance participants participation in pre-release/life skills programs and activities.
- May maintain class rosters, attendance records, and provides certificates for pre-release life skills program.
- May report participants for failing to attend assigned classes as an offense.
- Assesses participant’s needs and makes referrals to appropriate staff.
- May participate in formulation and development of release plan.
- May secure supplementary information, such as employment, medical records or school records.
- Aids participants in planning and developing an individual post-release plan and encourages them to assume the responsibility for post-release behaviors and activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree as a certified counselor providing transitional services or an Associate’s degree and two (2) years of experience providing substance abuse treatment services to the offender population or High School Diploma or its equivalent and four (4) years of experience as a certified counselor providing CBT to the offender population.
- Relevant teaching or counseling experience in a correctional setting preferred.
- Appropriate valid teaching certification if required by the client agency.
- Preference given to experience within a correctional setting.
- Ability to interact in a professional manner in both individual and group counseling settings.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with a team of professionals and have the ability to implement team strategy approaches to work assignments.
- Ability to work with computers and the necessary software typically used by the department