YMCA of San Diego County
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Club Instructor - Sports - Expanded Learning Programs
at YMCA of San Diego County
$12.00 - $13.75/Hour
Expanded Learning Programs (ELP)
# of Openings:
Current Club Instructor-Sports -Expanded Learning Programs Opportunities:
The Club Instructor – Expanded Learning Programs (ELP) is responsible for the instruction of high quality club activities and to assist in supervising and mentoring students at one or more school sites. The Club Instructor will actively manage assigned specialty clubs including the lesson planning of club curriculum, marketing the club to students, and by providing teens the opportunity for progressive skill building, youth voice and leadership, and culminating club events. The Club Instructor position requires high energy, dedication, patience, and a strong desire to mentor youth, strengthen families, and serve the community.
What a Club Instructor does...
- Supervise program participants, ensuring their guidance and safety at all times.
- Lead the planning, management, and implementation of club enrichment activities at one or more school sites throughout the week.
- Design club activities that are culturally relevant and age appropriate for youth, teach progressive skill building and mastery, and end in a culminating event or product.
- Ensure club is at program capacity by assisting in the assessment of student interests, creating marketing materials, and facilitating student recruitment activities.
- Collaborates with school and district personnel to align club enrichment with the goals and priorities of the school, district, and ASES/21st CCLC grant.
- Serve as a mentor to participants, by providing positive behavior guidance that supports the developmental, social-emotional, and physical needs of youth.
- Provide all participants, families, school personnel, and program guests with an exceptional YMCA customer service experience.
- Perform daily duties that ensure space is properly maintained, organized, clean, and safe.
- Must be able to attend all scheduled shifts, required meetings, and trainings.
- Enthusiastically represent the YMCA of San Diego County’s four character values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility; by displaying a positive attitude, professional appearance, high level of energy and a commitment to program quality at all times.
What we look for in a Club Instructor...
- Must be 18 years of age or older and possess a high school diploma/GED.
- Six months experience in enrichment programming, youth development, education, or comparable setting required.
- Previous experience as a sports instructor or demonstrated advanced skill in sports.
- Must meet minimum qualifications for a highly qualified Classroom Assistant/Instructional Aide in the district in which the assigned school operates; AA/AS degree, 48 college units or passing score on district’s Classroom Assistant/Instructional Aide proficiency exam acceptable.
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical incidents and the physical ability to act in an emergency situation.
- Physical ability to lead activities such as sports, games and curriculum activities and monitor behavior.
- Fingerprint clearance from DOJ/FBI required prior to working.
- TB test clearance within 60 days prior to employment or prior to working on a school site.
- Completion of Child Abuse Prevention training prior to working with program participants.
- CPR and First Aid certification required within 30 days of hire, unless specified otherwise on contract, and must be from one of the following certifying organization: American Red Cross or American Heart Association.