YMCA of San Diego County
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at YMCA of San Diego County
Offered at multiple locations
# of Openings:
Dive into a great job!
The YMCA of San Diego County is looking for professional, passionate, flexible and motivated candidates to work in their Aquatics department as a Lifeguard I. The Lifeguard I is 18 years of age or older and holds a valid certificate in Lifeguarding. This position provides direct support to and supervision of participants in YMCA aquatics programs. It is an excellent entry-level position for candidates excited about moving into the aquatics field. Creating safe environments where people can enjoy swimming without having to fear falling into the water or hurting themselves is the main job of the Lifeguard I. They keep a trained eye on people engaging in recreational activities in a swimming pool or on a splash pad because they are passionate about safety. Ideal candidates swim confidently, behave professionally, act quickly on their feet, and make sound judgments.
Not currently certified? We will provide you with the training for your certification! For more information please visit www.ymca.org/coolpools.
Individuals selected for this position receive a free family membership, paid sick leave (once accrued), and paid professional development opportunities and training. All YMCA staff have a great opportunity to be a part of an organization that positively impacts the lives of others!
What a Lifeguard I Does…
- Practices preventive lifeguard techniques at all times to include but not limited to the following:
- Performs appropriate rescues
- Attends at least 2 Hours Monthly in-service training as scheduled
- Participate in scheduled and random lifeguard drills
- Is familiar with and abides by YMCA of San Diego County Aquatic Policy and Program Standards at all times.
- Educates participants regarding rules and regulations of pool area.
What We Look for in a Lifeguard I …
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Current YMCA or Red Cross Lifeguard Certification (must crossover to YMCA certifications within 6 Months)
- Current CPR PRO/AED and must be from one of the following certifying organizations: American Red Cross, American Heart Association or American Safety & Health Institute.
- Current First Aid certification and must be from one of the following certifying organization: American Red Cross, American Heart Association or American Safety & Health Institute.
- Current O2 certification and must be from one of the following certifying organization: American Red Cross, American Heart Association or American Safety & Health Institute.
- Must pass written and practical skills exam prior to duty
- Must have visual and auditory ability to respond to critical incidents, and the physical ability to act swiftly in emergency situations
- Ability to observe participant activities adequately, to enforce safety regulations and to apply appropriate policies and procedures.