YMCA of San Diego County
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Supervisor I- PLAY/MSPAL
at YMCA of San Diego County
$12.50 - $13.75/Hour
Mission Valley YMCA
# of Openings:
Seeking energetic and friendly staff that are excited for the opportunity to work with families and members of the communities. As a PLAY Instructor Supervisor, you will be responsible for instructing PLAY Physical Education and Nutrition Classes at local elementary schools, assisting in running our Middle school Sports Play Athletic League (MSPAL) and ensuring participants’ safety and well-being at all times.
Individuals selected for this position will receive the benefit of a free family membership and have a great opportunity to be a part of an organization that positively impacts the lives of others!
What a PLAY Supervisor Does…
- Oversee the implementation of the PLAY curriculum on school grounds during school hours in accordance with Y Mission Statement
- Plan, lead and supervise group activities and games in accordance with Y Mission Statement, the PLAY curriculum and MSPAL policy and procedure.
- Establish and effectively communicate clear objectives for all lesson, units, and projects with students and teachers
- Clear and direct communication amongst supervisors and colleagues in MSPAL
- Translate lesson plans and activities into developmentally appropriate learning experiences to best utilize available resources
- Engage students in varied experiences that meet diverse needs and promote youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility
- Assist with the assessment of daily program activity through weekly evaluations of skill development, student behavior, and staff performance in PLAY and MSPAL
- Direct students to program areas that ensure preparedness for activity
- Log daily attendance of participants and maintain records of student development
- Ensure a safe program operation for all participants
- Provide continual instruction and supervision of group and serve as a leader
- Maintain a positive relationship with staff, participants, school faculty, and parents
- Follow YMCA standards, procedures, guidelines, objectives and goals
- Demonstrate enthusiasm in all phases of work with participants
- Ensure effective communication with colleagues, participants and school faculty
- Instill, teach and model YMCA values at all times
- Meet all deadlines and expectations set by coordinators.
What We Look for in a PLAY Supervisor…
- Minimum age of 21 years old
- Two years of experience working in childcare, day camp, community youth outreach setting
- Background in physical education, nutrition or organized youth sports.
- Educated in exercise science, child development, or related field highly preferred
- 9 units in Exercise Science, Early Childhood Education, or related field, or have 3 units completed and enrolled in 6 more units. AA or BA in exercise science, child development or related field highly desirable.
- Excellent customer service, communication and leadership skills
- Effectively communicate, collaborate, and cooperate with colleagues, supervisor, teachers, principals, and students
- Must be able to relate well to youth, parents, and volunteers
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical incidents and the physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency
- Ability to adequately observe and lead participant activities, enforce safety regulations, follow/adapt curriculum and apply appropriate policies and procedures
- Physical ability to lead and interact in group activities and perform job related tasks
- Experience leading and supervising other instructors highly preferred
- CPR and First Aid certification required within 30 days of hire and must be from one of the following certifying organization: American Red Cross, American Heart Association or American Safety & Health Institute.