YMCA of San Diego County
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Support Specialist - Independent Living Skills- Temporary (North County)
at YMCA of San Diego County
Seeking energetic and friendly staff that are excited for the opportunity to work with families and members of the communities. As a Support Specialist, you will provide program assistance and administrative support to Youth & Family Services projects. You will assist weekly with participant engagement and participant group while using appropriate research methods to conduct duties, as well as lead group exercises, develop professional rapport with participants and monitor participant progress throughout the duration of the program. Individuals selected for this position will receive the benefit of a free family membership and have a great opportunity to be a part of an organization that positively impacts the lives of others!
What a Support Specialist Does…
- Provide administrative and intervention support to program staff.
- Maintain engaging, professional relationships with participants.
- Prepare agendas and activities for groups and assist with documentation.
- Support various meetings and activities.
- Individually meet with participants and apply designed curriculum as needed.
- Assess the need for and provide supportive services as needed.
- Facilitate groups and lead activities.
- Provide support for the collection and analysis of data required for reporting purposes.
- Perform other administrative tasks as assigned and assist with maintaining proper document storage and auditing.
- Attend all required staff meetings and trainings.
What We Look for in a Support Specialist…
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- High school diploma preferred.
- Familiar with the operations of federal grants, preferred.
- Experience with Independent Living Skills issues (financial aid, college admissions, GED preparation, housing, transportation) preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to quickly build rapport with others.
- Must be an adult role model with the ability to effectively set limits and function in crisis-oriented and high stress situations.
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Basic computer knowledge and skills.
- Ability to navigate community resources.
- Familiarity with life experiences common among the transition aged youth population preferred.
- Pass pre-employement drug testing.
- Criminal record clearance by being fingerprinted prior to reporting to work and signing a statement regarding criminal convictions.
- Negative TB test results.
- Ability to adequately observe participants' activities, enforce safety regulations and apply appropriate policies and procedures.
- Must possess the ability to lead and interact in group activities and perform related physical skills.
- CPR and First Aid certification required and must be from one of the following certifying organizations: American Red Cross, American Heart Association or American Safety & Health Institute.